We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valet Parking

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Valet Parking

After visiting the Intercontinental Hotel (great place) last weekend and staying at the Hyatt Regency Suites Atlanta Northwest in July I want to see what others think.

These places, along with some restaurants reserve the best parking spaces, closest to the hotel or restaurants for the valet parking.

At the Hyatt we had to park the third tier down (outside) and climb flights of steps to get to the hotel while the parking next to the hotel was reserved for valet parking. the Hyatt is built on a very steep hill. There was some kind of event going on at the hotel so there were many people there who were not guests. We were guests but had to park at the furthest point away from the hotel in the last available spot.

The valet parkers (Is that what you call them?) are usually athletic young men. Why can't they park further away from the hotel and let the guests have parking that is reasonably close to the hotel? It doesn't have to right next to it but within reason.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valet Parking

That is a very good point. At some restaurants (Bluepointe and Lobby come to mind) the valets like to park the cars in the front to show off the affluence of their patrons, as if seeing some big Bentley or Rolls is going to make me want to eat there more. OK, I admit it, I'm shallow. It probably would make me more curious. It probably makes the high rollers feel flattered and spend more money as well. But, since the valets are getting paid and tipped for running cars, it seems that they're the ones who should have to be inconvenienced. I usually try to self-park as much as possible.

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Valet Parking

Depending on where/how much the valet parking costs....the hotel might make as much or more on valet parking then they do on renting out the hotel room. Have a couple events a day and turn those parking spaces a couple times....no need to provide maid service for a parking space...bring in people willing to pay for high priced food/drink vs those that might have gotten a discounted room.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valet Parking

I'm the ultimate frugal queen and hate to valet park. I only do it when there's no other option or I'm wearing the least comfortable pair of shoes I own. That probably makes them happy as I doubt they'd want to park my Honda Civic up front with the Porsches and Ferraris! ;-)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valet Parking

I dont necessarily think it all has to do with frugality. I think a lot of it has to do with common sense. For instance, I was at Blackstone in Vinings this past weekend and they had "complimentary" (there is no such thing) valets there to park your car...RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOOR. I actually parked further away just to avoid the valets so the restaurant is actually doing a disservice to the patron I believe in some instances.

By the way, Blackstone's calamari leaves much to be desired.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valet Parking

What drives me insane are the parking lots whose rates vary. By far the worst offender is the lot on the south side of Loca Luna. It charges a different rate every time I'm there, and never posts a sign outside indicating what the rate is. So, it's only when you've parked and unloaded that you learn what you'll be forced to pay.

I have a friend who lives in the condo building next door, and some of the spaces in that lot were leased to the condo board for use by condo guests and the parking company had no right to lease them. Nonetheless, the attendant forced a friend to pay to park in a space over which he had no control. Even worse, I parked there about ten minutes after another friend one day. She was charged $10 and I was charged $15. Those peopel are such crooks. Now I prefer to park further away and walk than to given them my money.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valet Parking

Well, I'm glad to see others agree with me. To me, it is also a matter of principle. I feel like the place is trying to shake me down.

JA

If you park in the parking lot on the hill next to Loca Luna's parking lot the price is $5 rather than $10. On Sunday nights it is free whereas you have to pay in LL's lot.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valet Parking

And another thing. I don't like the idea of a young man who is a stranger jumping in my car and have access to my keys and the contents of my car. I've seen how those guys drive.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valet Parking

Under no condition would i pay someone $15 to park my car. They were obviously pocketed the extra $5. I wont even pay $10...you can get around most places in town for around a $20-$30 cab ride round trip ...I'd rather pay $20 (usually split between 2 or more people anyway) then pay $15 to rent a car parking space for 3 hours. Plus you dont have to worry about getting a DUI after having only 2 drinks.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valet Parking

Or instead you could always search around Loca Luna for street parking if you have an extra 5 minutes.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valet Parking

Dude

The price is $5 total for the evening not per hour where I mentioned. I agree, though, that is about my limit to pay for parking.