We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perimeter center

Saint John
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Perimeter center

what about the Perimeter area. I am thinking of maybe staying there a few days. I see there is a big mall but is there anything else to do in the area. Is is a safe area? I was looking at the fairfield inn seems like a cheap price but i also do not want a dump. Do you guys feel comfortable taking Marta from this area. I would be arriving late at night so i don't think i would take marta from airport there at 12 pm but the next to falcons game

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perimeter center

Hey, Vick. In terms of safety, the Perimeter area is a good one and definitely better than the Holiday Inn on Druid Hills that you were looking at before. And taking MARTA to and from there is fine. Many people do it every day. I've taken it to and from the airport several times. The mall is the main attraction, yes, but it is surrounded by a number of other shops and good restaurants as well.

As for the Fairfield, I know nothing about it but it seems to be getting mixed reviews here. The LaQuinta in that area may be worth looking into as it seems to get good reviews.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perimeter center

My first few years in Atlanta I lived up in this area and always felt OK taking MARTA from Perimeter Mall. Since I worked across the street from it, I used it often. (that and I got lost too easily driving) The Mall and shopping are the big draw, though there is an AMC theater which on MARTA would be at the Sandy Springs station.

From Dunwoody Station I've taken the train many times to n from the airport alone, the only thing is having to change trains after 9pm at lindberg. That and the 45 minutes late at night seems to take FOREVER. zzzzz. When there's an event going on, even all the way up to the North Springs station there's always someone riding along with you. I've never minded it.

As far as hotels it's been too long since I've stayed at one in this area so I can't be of much help.

Saint John
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Perimeter center

thanks guys I am kinda liking this area for a couple of days. I have a question though do you think i can walk to marta from the fairfield? Also do you have to change trains to go downtown.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perimeter center

You can probably walk that, but I'd find out if the Fairfield has a shuttle. I imagine they have one for guests going to the mall, which is right next door.

Going downtown from the Dunwoody station is a straight shot. You won't have to change trains. It's coming back north that you have to watch for the right train. If you're coming back from downtown to the Dunwoody station, you want to get on a North Springs train, NOT the Doraville train. It should be posted on the side of the train.

If for some reason you do end up on a Dorvaille train by mistake (they usually announce what it is over the intercom but not always), you can get off at Lindbergh station and wait for a North Springs train. That's where the Doraville line diverges.

Hope that helps!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perimeter center

I work in the Perimeter area and I think it's a great area for someone who wants to stay in a safe neighborhood with easy access to public transit. There are some good restaurants here, and lots of shopping. I haven't found much nightlife, but you can always go out in town and take MARTA back to this area. Or, there are a few lively bars - Taco Mac, the Derby, Garrison's, sometimes the lobby at the W. I see hotel shuttles all over the area, so I imagine that would be quite helpful.

As far as safety goes, I would have no problem taking MARTA north of downtown at any hour. if you're leaving a Falcons game, the train will be packed and I would feel very safe.

Saint John
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Perimeter center

thanks for the info everyone i think i may stay here for a few days. Do you know anything about the fairfield inn? is it walking dist to marta? the mall? Do you guys know what train i would take to get downtown and what stop to get off also what train to come back. I took marta once last year when i was in atlanta and they did not announce anything i just went downtown to lennox mall but i had to count the stops which i did not like

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perimeter center

most of the hotels in this area provide free shuttles to the MARTA stations and the mall. This one, if I'm not mistaking where it's at, is definitely walking distance.

There's only one southbound train from the Perimeter Mall station, so that's the one you'd get on to head downtown. You can print of a map at itsmartadotcom, and also use that to do a bit of preplanning for your trip. As one who gets turned around alot, I try to always sit by a wall map and a door. ( =

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perimeter center

In my experience, either the MARTA operator or a recorded voice always announces the stop. Perhaps there was a malfunction when you took the train. Also, every station has a lot of signage that is visible from teh train advising as to which station it is. There are maps in each train car. So, there is really very little room for confusion. You'll just need to be sure to take the North Springs train back to Dunwoody rather than taking the Doraville train, as the tracks split at Lindbergh.

The Fairfield Inn is a very easy walk from the mall and, although the area is not heavily pedestrian, there will be a sidewalk. The Dunwoody MARTA station is in the mall parking lot, essentially between the mall and your hotel. See here for a map:

http://tinyurl.com/qxdks

Saint John
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Perimeter center

thanks jatlanta i am feeling better about this all the time. That's weird about the Marta must have been the one time i took it it never announced it lol. So i need the north train to get back to perimeter and what is the train called to downtown? Do you know does it go right down by the Dome? Is it safe walking from hotel meaning i don't have to cross the interstate or anything do I

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,848 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perimeter center

There is only one train going southbound, so any southbound train you get on, whether from Dunwoody or otherwise, will take you to downtown. You really should visit www.itsmarta.com to see how basic the train lines are.

Your walk to the hotel from MARTA will be very safe and short and the only streets that you would have to cross would be governed by traffic lights and crosswalks. If you'll go to the hotel link I provided you, you can see how close it is.

To get to the Dome from MARTA, you can walk several blocks from the Peachtree Center station or Five Points Station. Just get a map of downtown and it is an easy 15 minute walk, but probably not one I'd make very late at night.

Otherwise, most people take the train right to the Dome by getting off the southbound train at Five Points, transfering onto a westbound train, and getting off at either the Dome/GWCC/Philips/CNN Center stop or at the Vine City stop. From there you can just follow the crowds. The Dome is huge and well-marked and you won't be able to miss it. You may want to get down to that area a little early and check out Centennial Park and the plaza area around the Dome, as there are usually lots of gameday activities going on.