We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

Our family of five - three boys 17-13-11 - have a long layover next Thursday from @ 9am - 5:45pm We are taking very little carry-on in the hopes that we could find something to do for at least a few hours off-airport. Is there good public transport that could get us to and from anywhere interesting in reliably good time? Any suggestions of what we could do in the time allotted? We've never been to Atlanta and even just walking around would be interesting.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

Yes, MARTA starts right in the Airport and can take you downtown in 20 minutes for $1.75 a piece.

From the Peachtree Center Station you can easily walk to Centennial Olympic Park (GA Aquarium, CNN) or the Martin Luther King Center. You need tour reservations for these tours, but they are pretty easy to obtained.

As you walk past the Westin on International/Andrew Young you can see Walton Springs. A fresh water spring that made this area a stop for indians and pioneers before Atlanta was founded.

Another novel way to see downtown is Segway Tours. Those stand up riding things. (required age is 12, I'd tell them your 11 yr old is 12 if you think he could handle it) http://www.citysegwaytours.com/atlanta/

Enjoy your visit to our city, next time spend more time, there is lots of other things to see outside of the downtown area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

Just to add to JAtlanta's good suggestions, there's a temporary ice skating rink in Centennial Park during the holiday season. That might be a fun way to burn off some energy.

Normally, I'd recommend going to visit the Georgia Aquarium but with so many kids out of school and tourists in town, the place is probably going to be packed.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

I wish I could take credit for Kaykay's great suggestions but they aren't mine. I agree that the Aquarium will be crowded but it might be a good place to let your kids run off some steam. It's supposed to stat getting cold again on Thursday so you may want to do somethign inside. If so, Lenox Mall is a good option, or you could go to Atlantic Station and go to a movie.

Here's another thread where the same topic was discussed:

http://tinyurl.com/yzc2t6

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

JA, I've definitely developed baby brain. I'm just so used to you jumping in and giving great ideas it's become a habit. :-)

5. Re: What to do during an 8-9 hour layover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Atlanta