We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Four menu

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa Bay area
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Final Four menu

We have a final four party every year. I always like to prepare foods known from the area of the city the final four is in. Any suggestions for the HOT ATLANTA area? Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Four menu

Atlanta gets less and less "southern every day" but I would suggest soul/comfort food along the lines of sweet tea, fried chicken, fried okra, black eyed peas. Of course, you have to include Krispy Kremes (not an ATL company but huge here) and Coca-Cola. Or, you could totally cop out and order form Arby's, which is based here.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Four menu

I agree with JAtlanta. I imagine there are more Northeners in Atlanta than Southerners. Most of the original inhabitants that I know of have moved out in the direction of where I live. (I am originally from Smyrna, a suburb.)

I would add to the list Southern cornbread, not sweet but the white cornmeal kind. Perhaps you can get the Martha White cornbread mix in the grocery store where you live.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Four menu

I think sweet potato cheesecake was invented in Atlanta. That is sooooooooooooooooooo delicious. YUMMY. Would be a great dessert along with the Krispy Kreme.

Also the Waffle House was started in the area, maybe have some Waffles. You could turn these into a dessert by putting some vanilla ice cream and some fresh fruit (PEACHES) into the middle. That is absolutely divine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Four menu

How could I forget banana pudding? I should have my credentials as a southerner stripped. I think that's a must. The recipe on the Nilla Wafer box is as good as any I've tried.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Four menu

1 Box of Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding

1 container of Cool Whip

6-8 ripe bananas (the brown ones that are usually in the bag)

1 can of evaporated milk (cold)

-Make the pudding mix as directed on the box with the cold milk.

-After it has gotten thick and creamy, Fold the cool whip into mixture with a rubber spatula.

-Place layer of Nila Wafers on bottom of a pan (glass pyrex dish or whatever you have on hand)

-Place Sliced bananas on top

-Layer cool whip/pudding mixture on top to cover the area

-continue until bananas and wafers are gone.

-The top should be the cool whip/pudding mixture

This is my favorite banana pudding recipe. I don't care for the hot banana pudding

This will serve about 8 people with generous portions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Four menu

JAtlanta, you made me laugh with the Arby's mention.

My husband and I were out Christmas shopping the other night over at Perimeter when I looked up and saw the giant Arby's logo on the office building. I laughed and said, "I'm thinkin' Arby's!" and we both cracked up.

Atlanta
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Four menu

You could always set up a grill with hotdogs and burgers and yell "What'll ya have? What'll ya have?" (ala The Varsity, an Atlanta landmark) as your guests come up to be served. Can't forget the chili and coleslaw for the hotdogs. Onion rings on the side and fried peach pies for dessert. ONLY Coke products should be served to make it an authentic Atlanta menu!! Or, maybe veer from The Varsity theme and offer beer from our very own Sweetwater Brewery

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Final Four menu

pulled pork , cole slaw, brunswick stew, texas toast, green beans cooked beyond recognition (with a smoked hamhock of course), BBQ ribs, chicken, banana pudding. Sweet tea, jack &coke and sweetwater 420. Plenty of napkins.

Everyone should be happily snoring by the end of the first period. : )

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final Four menu

I would combine the two suggestions. The Varsity is a 1950s style of drive in with car-hops or sit-in dining. Go to their website and check out the paper hats they are wearing

"http://www.thevarsity.com"

They give the paper hats to kids, you can probably buy some from them. But you have to serve Vidalia (pronounced "Veye-dale-yu")Onions (on the dogs and as onion rings -- you can order from the vidalia onion company in Vidalia GA--- if they dont sell them where you are -- they are sweeter onions - much milder than yellow or white). Also check out "our history" on their webpage, and then click "brush-up on your lingo" A big part of the varsity is listening to them shout your order to the cooks in their own unique language ------ You have to shout "whatll you have, whatll you have" every 2 seconds and then learn the lingo:

(Give me two naked dogs, one yellow dog, three cheeseburgers and walk em through the garden, an F.O., and a bag of rags).

They also have an autographed wall of fame that contains autographed pictures from celebrities (hollywood and political) who have eaten there. Maybe you could get copies of photographs of your guests (make copies at walmart for like 0.17cents each) prior to the event ?

Setting up a good hotdog/braut bar would be inexpensive as compared to other foods (steak/ribs), and it is a good party food because it doesnt require real plates or silverware for each person.

Just buy good quality dogs, not the ones with chicken beaks and horse hooves.

Then I would serve fried chicken fingers for those who dont care for dogs or chilli cheese burgers. GOOD BBQ / and/ or a large country food spread is just too time consuming and hard to duplicate if you arent from the south, and know how to cook it (you cant cook good cornbread without a seasoned iron skillet --- pintos or blackeye peas have to soak overnight, and cook all day ------- BBQ is an art -- novices shouldn't even try). You can always cop-out and get buckets of chicken and all the fixins from KFC.

If you need southern recipes, hit me back with a specific request, and i will tell you how to cook it.

Tampa Bay area
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Final Four menu

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! All great ideas!!!! I use to live in Atlanta (1977-1980) and do remember the Varsity, though I am not even sure if I ever went there!?! We usually have between 40-50 people attend our party so I will start cooking (or ordering) ASAP. By the way, here in the Tampa Bay area (Pinellas county) the Krispy Kreme shops closed down!?! I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks again!!