We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions about South of France restaurant

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions about South of France restaurant

I'm looking for some local opinions on South of France. I'm considering it for an anniversary dinner. I've also looked into all the usual suspects, Canoe, Fogo..., Aria... and I think I'm looking for something a bit more rustic. South of France sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm concerned at the lack of reviews. Anyone ever been?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

I have not been. It seems sort of obscure among Atlanta's restaurants. I have heard from a friend who has had business lunches there that it is good but pricey. The shopping center where it's located is recently remodeled but I'm not sure if the restaurant's been renovated. For reviews, I suggest checking atlantacuisine.com, atlantacitysearch.com, creativeloafing.com and accessatlanta,com.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

If you're looking for something nice but rustic...the restaurant that pops into my mind would be The Cabin located off of Buford Hwy.

It has fantastic ambience as well as excellent food. Here is the Frommer's Review:

frommers.com/destinations/atlanta/D35780.html

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

My husband took me there last year and it was okay. It attracts a lot of regulars who seem to have a good rapport with the staff. They have a singer and she was kind of loud and for me, that was distracting. But the food was just fair. This was before they remodeled so I don't know if it has changed much in terms of embience.

I much prefer Canoe, frankly. The food is top notch and we've always gotten great service.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

Hmmm, too many choices for my indecisive brain. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt in Buckhead, so I was originally looking for restaurants near there, but I've read some good reviews of Les Fleur de Lis downtown. Any opinions on that one? I was also considering having after dinner drinks at the Sun Dial. I'm not really familiar with the city. Would it be a safe walk from Fleur de Lis to the Westin? Where is the best place to park? Thanks for all the help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

I like Cafe Fleur de Lys but it is very small. I think the good review on this site is mine. The restaurant is very charming and very French, as it the service (think slow). I would try to reserve the table in the window. That said, I just clicked on their website - www.lesfleursdeliscafe.com - and it is not working so it could be that the restaurant is out of business.

The walk from there to the Sun Dial is not one I'd make at night, as it would put you in the area of the Five Points MARTA station. A cab ride would be really cheap though - I think $6.

If French food is what you're looking for, you might want to investigate Aria or Cafe Alsace in Decatur. Also, the new midtown restaurant Trois is getting rave reviews for its French food, but would not be described as rustic.

I really like Repast which though located in a loft building has a fairly rustic feel and French elements to its cuisine:

http://www.repastrestaurant.com/

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

i'd like to second the reccomendation for canoe. we've had wonderful successes there, and never had one bit of trouble.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

I agree with JAtlanta's choices and have one additional to add. My husband is French so we are constantly trying new restaurants in Atlanta.

For a romantic anniversary dinner I would suggest either Aria or Joel's.

They are both upscale...Aria is considered one of the most romantic restaurants in Atlanta while Joel's is very trendy.

Cafe Alsace is a little bit more rustic & laid back & certainly less expensive.

When my mom-in-law came to visit from France we took her to Aria & she loved it ...as does my husband... I would highly recommend it!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

I'd also like to point out that ARIA is #1 out of 973 restaurants in Atlanta on TripAdvisor & the AJC's Meridith Ford gave it an excellent review on accessatlanta.com!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

How much is a typical dinner at Aria? We'd most likely have an appetizer, a moderate main course, a dessert, and one glass of wine. Their website menu doesn't have any prices, and I don't want to be completely shocked at our bill.We're willing to spend more for a nice dinner, but don't necessarily want to blow the whole budget on one meal.

Thanks.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions about South of France restaurant

Okay...I just thought of another place that will probably fit you perfectly!

Aria is fantastic but it's very pricey...so be warned!

However, one of my husband's favorite French bistros is Atmosphere. The staff are mostly French or European & are very accomodating!

Check it out at www.atmospherebistro.com

It is very quaint & romantic & moderately priced.

The menu w/prices is available to browse.