We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MARTA or car hire

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
MARTA or car hire

Hi, My wife and I are travelling to the USA for our honeymoon in May and staying in Atlanta for two nights before travelling around the deep south of the country.We were wondering whether to hire a car or to use MARTA while in Atlanta as the car hire is from the airport.

Do you charge a fee for parking the vehicle at your hotel.

Hoping to see you in May.

Les Gallop

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: MARTA or car hire

I definitely recommend New Orleans. It's one of the most unique and interesting cities in the US. I've been several times and the food and sites are great. I've never been impressed by Memphis but to each his own.

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: MARTA or car hire

Hi again,

Thanks for all the advice earlier.

I have a question to ask about cell phone hire.

Most of my accomodation for my trip is booked in advance, is it worth me hiring a cell phone? if so where from? how much for 20 days? and how much are the calls? and lastly do cellphones get charges for calls to "toll free" numbers? (they do in the UK)

Thanks again,

Les

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: MARTA or car hire

I am not sure whether you can rent a cell phone in the US. I know that most cell phone stores sell phones with pre-paid plans, where the phone is essentially disposable.

Generally, you get charged per minute of usage, and whether you're making a local, toll free or long distance call is irrelevant. There are cell phone stores all over Atlanta and I think prices are about the same. The major carriers are T-Mobile, Sprint/Nextel, Verizon, Cingular. Here's a link to T-Mobile's prepaid kits:

www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx

Having a phone while driving is an excellent idea. You may have car trouble, may get lost, may need to change reservations. Are you sure your UK call phone won't work internationally? My T-Mobile phone does.

14. Re: MARTA or car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 08:17