We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

We are travelling from Mesa Verde to Jackson in Wyoming with the opportunity for two overnight stops of needed. What would be the best route to take? Have considered stopping over in Moab with a very quick visit to Conyonlands or Arches but does this then leave too long a run up to Jackson. Any advice welcome - thanks

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

Definately take two nights if you have them and take some time to see the Canyonlands and Arches on your way. Stay your first night near Arches - maybe in Moab or travel further up to Green River. From Cortez (near Mesa Verde) to Moab is about 2 1/2 hours driving,giving you plenty of time to visit the area without rushing. It is about 5 more hours to Salt Lake City, so in a very long day, you could stay in SLC, but I'd take the two nights and not rush through, Stay your second night either in SLC or in nearby Park City. Next day, you'd have nearly 6 hours driving to get to Jackson

I went to Jackson.com to get the following directions from Salt Lake City:

Salt Lake City, Utah to Jackson Hole

Just over 300 miles or between 5 and 6 hours

There are about five ways to get to Jackson Hole from Salt Lake City. Here are the three which we feel are the best routes:

Route #1: North from SLC through Utah and Idaho and then over Teton Pass

Note: This route is not recommended for those with RV's or trailers or during winter weather. Teton Pass is a steep, long pass.

Take the I-15 North out of Salt Lake City towards Pocatello, ID.

Take the US-20 Business/ Broadway St. (exit 118)

Turn right onto Broadway

Turn left onto N Yellowstone Ave./ ID-43/US-26.

Stay on US 26 to Swan Valley

In Swan Valley, turn left onto ID 31

Follow ID-31 to Victor, ID.

In Victor, turn right (East) on ID-33.

Follow ID-33 over Teton Pass where it Becomes WY-22

Follow WY-22 to US 89/Broadway.

--> If you're going to Teton Village, turn left at WY-390/ Moose-Wilson Rd.

--> before reaching US-89/Broadway. Teton Village is on the left @ 7 miles.

Route #2: Through Soda Springs, ID and Freedom, WY. Many locals think this is the quickest route.

Take the I-15 North out of Salt Lake City towards Pocatello, ID.

Turn Right at US-30 to Lava Hot Springs, Lund, and Soda Springs, ID

In Soda Springs, turn left at 3rd E. Street, which is ID-34.

You will be on a bridge crossing the Railroad tracks.

In about a block turn right on E. Hooper Ave. (part of ID-34)

ID-34 bends to the right at Greys Lake

As you enter Freedom,turn right on County Line Rd.

Continue less than a mile, and then turn Left at WY-239

Continue for about a mile and a half, then Turn Left on US 89 just after passing Freedom Arms.

Bear right at the US-26/ US-89 junction continuing North to Jackson on US-89

Bear left at Hoback Junction continuing North on US-89/ US-191

--> Note: if you're going to Teton Village, take a left at WY-22 just as you enter Jackson; then, turn right at the Moose-Wilson Rd./ WY 390.

Route #3: Through Evanston, WY. Although a bit longer than the other routes, this drive keeps you in big, wonderful Wyoming and on the East side of Idaho for most of the drive.

Take I-80 East out of Salt Lake

Take WY-89/ WY-16 North at Evanston

Bear right (East) continuing on WY-89/ WY-16 at sage Creek Junction

The road will end at US-30 where you will turn left

Continue north through Cokeville to Border Junction.

At Border Junction, Turn right onto WY-89/ WY-61

This road joins with US-89 in about 10 miles

Continue North on US-89 through Thane, near Freedom.

Bear right at the US-26/ US-89 junction continuing North to Jackson on US-89

Bear left at Hoback Junction continuing North on US-89/ US-191

--> Note: if you're going to Teton Village, take a left at WY-22 just as you enter Jackson

--> then, turn right at the Moose-Wilson Rd./ WY 390 .

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

Hi

Imagist gave you fantastic info and I agree, make it a two nights stop. There's another option too:

Day 1: Drive from Mesa Verde to Moab as early as possible and spend rest of the day in this amazing area.

Day 2: Drive from Moab to Cisco to I70 and towards Grand Junction. Take exit 15 north to ca 139 to Dinosaur, us 40 to Vernal and us 191 north to Flaming Gorge NRA and enjoy the red, blue and green surroundings

Day 3: Drive from Flaming Gorge to Rock Springs and us 191 to Jackson.

Driving times:

Mesa Verde-Moab: 2.5 hours

Moab-Flaming Gorge: 5-5.5 hours.

Flaming Gorge-Jackson: 5-5.5 hours.

We have driven from Moab to Jackson on both routes and we preferred the route through Flaming Gorge but other may prefer the other ones.

Tet

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

And no one thinks you should go past Bear Lake?

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

Thanks to you all for the advice - I guess we just need to make a decision !

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

I *ditto* Tet's suggestions!

My only change would be to head west on highway 44 when you get to Flaming Gorge, heading towards Manila, UT and then west again from Manila to Ft. Bridger, WY. It's a little shorter to 191 this way, and you get the beautiful Uinta Mountain views along the way!

I would suggest staying in Moab and then Kemmerer, WY, unless you get a chance to stay at Red Canyon Lodge at Flaming Gorge (not sure if they have any openings, check at redcanyonlodge.com)

If you have time, you should stop in Vernal at the new Dinosaur Museum to get an overall feel of the "drive through the ages" road (191 north from Vernal to Flaming Gorge). It's not a huge museum; it would only take 1-2 hours to see it thoroughly but it's absolutely worth the stop!

*Pixie*

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

Thanks again - just wondered whether you think it is possible to complete the trip by finding accommodation on the way without pre-booking? I thought that might give us a little flexibility - or is it wise to book accommodation ahead?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,102 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

I think in Jackson and Yellowstone you should probably make reservations ahead of time.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

You didnot mention what time of your you are coming (or I just missed ) but also in Moab I would want to make a reservation. Many festivals here. Also if you decide to drive through Flaming Gorge make a reservation. The Red Canyon Lodge is a great place in wonderful surroundings. For Vernal I don't think a reservation is needed. (we came without and had no problems finding a hotel, but that was in september)

Tet

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

That's great - thanks again for all the advice - think we'll go ahead and book.

Our trip is the last two weeks of September. This is part of a larger trip and I've already booked ahead for Jackson and Yellowstone.

10. Re: Mesa Verde to Jackson, WY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 01:16