We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

We plan to be in Moab for 3 days in the middle of July this year. I would love to try and squeeze in Mesa Verde too. We will have 3 kids with us (5, 6, 9). Is it doable?

Mentioned in this post
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,127 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

I love Mesa Verde and think it is a "must-do." However, it probably is too far for a day trip from Moab, IMO, especially with kids. It is about 150 miles, the last part of which is a very winding, slow road to get into the park, and the rest on two lane roads, approximately 3 hours each way. I guess if your kids are good travelers in the car and you could get everyone out the door early in the morning, it would be doable.

What does the rest of your itinerary look like? Could you do two days in Moab, then an overnight at Mesa Verde before heading on to your next stop?

Mentioned in this post
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,127 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

I looked at your Yellowstone post. How about Grand Tetons to Grand Junction, Grand Junction to Mesa Verde, Mesa Verde to Moab, Moab back to Salt Lake City? Then you could squeeze in a quick stop at the Black Canyon NP and wave at Telluride as you go by, all the while planning your next trip to the area.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,972 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

Moab to Mesa Verde would mean you'd spend half of one (of only three) days in the car. Doable? Yes, but not really what I would consider a good use of limited time.

Mentioned in this post
DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

Thanks for the info. It's a long trip starting in slc, going to yellow stone, grand Tetons, vernal and then in Moab for three nights before going back to spend the last night in slc before flying home. Assuming that by the time we will be in Moab we will know if any of us can handle any more car rides.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Very informative.

6. Re: One day trip to Mesa Verde from Moab doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:17