We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

Hello from Australia.

My husband and I are travelling to New England in the first week of October 2013 for his 40th birthday. We were going to do a couple of day trips out of Boston, but after researching this beautiful region, we are now planning a driving tour!

So, this is what we have planned so far....

We will leave Boston, and explore the coast, staying in Kennebunkport for one night. Then we will drive up to Portland, across to the White Mountains and to Jackson for one night. On day three we will explore the Mountains in the morning, drive through to Woodstock VT for the night.

I was thinking of driving from Woodstock and on to Concord for the night, but cannot seem to find any upscale lodging for October 2013 that does not carry with it a two night minimum. I realize it is peak season, so this will be hard to find. We are only going to be in the US for 10 days, and so while I would love to spend a few days in Concord, it will not be possible this time around. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also is there a pretty driving route you could recommend between Woodstock and Concord, and perhaps another location to stop at for the night between Woodstock and Concord?

Thanks kindly for your help!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
711 Reviews
from US$79.00*
American History Tour: Cambridge...
282 Reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
127 Reviews
from US$56.00*
US$59.00
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
799 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

In Sudbury on Rt.20, about 4 miles from Concord, MA, there is a small hotel part of the Wayside Inn which has some nice amenities. There was a livingsocial special recently for this hotel. Living in this town, the Wayside Inn is a very traditional place that is quite a treasure. It may not be "luxury", but it is a unique place, close to Concord and a wonderful experience.

Mentioned in this post
Sudbury
Sudbury
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

Wpsaukee, good point about restaurants and the Inn at Castle Hill. I recall (hopefully correctly!) that you've also stayed at the Wenworth by the Sea, which is another hotel of interest to the OP. I think either would work well enough for a late afternoon departure from Logan. Any chance you can offer the OP a comparison of the two?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

Yes, I've stayed at Wentworth by the Sea, which is a beautiful hotel. The town it's located in, New Castle, is like a museum piece, and it's just a few minutes' drive from Portsmouth. All this makes it a great place to stay.

I think the simplest way to compare WbtS to the Inn at Castle Hill is to say that the former is a full-service hotel, with an excellent restaurant, a full bar, a pool, and a spa. The Inn is a B&B, and though it's a gorgeous one, it has much less in the way of amenities on the property and doesn't have the easy access to a really vibrant town (such as Portsmouth). But if you want to walk on the beach or on the magnificent grounds of the Castle Hill Estate (maybe tour the house), it's hard to beat.

They're two of the choicer hostelries my wife and I have treated ourselves to (twice at each, as I recall). I can't really steer you to one over the other. The Wentworth is probably cheaper, though.

Mentioned in this post
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

Thanks, wpsaukee. I'm sure this will help the OP.

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

Thanks so much! I think I should be planning a month in New England, not ten days. If only...

Once again, I am most grateful for your advice. What a difference it has made to my trip planning so far! :)

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
16. Re: Luxury inn or B&B without 2 night minimum in October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Concord