We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Girona

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from Girona

Can anyone suggest a car hire company that does full to full fuel conditions and also allows drivers to take the hire car over to France as we are planning a night in Perpignan

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from Girona

I recently used Thrifty, which is part of Hertz and they included cross-border insurance cover as standard and offered a full to full fuel policy. I booked through www.Rentalcars.com because the pricing was clearer than on Thrifty's own website. The price was good too

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from Girona

I will certainly look again via that website. We had booked a car on that site but there was a limited mileage policy so I cancelled it as it only allowed us 420km which was no good to us as it's 120km each way from Begur to Perpignan which would have left us with not much margin for the rest of the week

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from Girona

I noticed this year that some companies have introduced limited mileage. You really need to go through the T&C's with a fine tooth comb!

The deposit with Thrifty was only €600 on a brand new Seat Leon. With Goldcar, their deposit was €1000. I never take the companies additional insurance to cover the excess, but buy an annual policy from www.Insurance4carhire.com This year it was €37 with a voucher code (found on Google)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from Girona

That's definitely worth looking at cause we are going to the US in 10 months so will be hiring a car over there as well. Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from Girona

Just an FYI. Thrifty Car Hire - DRIVING RESTRICTIONS: Vehicles cannot be taken outside of the country of Spain. Vehicles cannot be taken from the mainland to the Islands.

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from Girona

I am looking at my literature now and on the inside cover of the leaflet given at collection, there is a map on the inside cover, with the question:

'Can I drive my car abroad?

Answer:

'You can drive the vehicle in any of the countries highlighted in blue above. If you want to drive the vehicle in any other country, you must obtain our authorisation in advance.

Countries shown in blue are: Spain, Portugal, Andorra and France.

The insurance information document is stampted in red with this message:

'THIS VEHICLE IS NOT AUTHORISED TO CROSS TO AFRICA AND EASTERN COUNTRIES'

My contract with Thrifty was in July 2017 and collected from the Hertz desk at GRO

Maybe the third party supplier has it wrong, or it depends on price!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from Girona

Thanks for the additional information. I have emailed Thrifty as I have nothing to lose as the accommodation in Perpignan is already paid for and I will lose the money if cancelled.

If we cant travel to France then we will simply stay in Begur (which will be lovely).

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from Girona

Thrifty comes under the Hertz umbrella, along with Dollar, however it is Hertz in GRO who provide the vehicles. Maybe this is the reason why

9. Re: Car hire from Girona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2018, 06:17