We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Which Begur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Hi!

I have read a bit about Costa Brava and is starting to worry that we will not be seeing any local, authentic Spain but rather spend our holidays in between drunk European tourists eating the food from home partying all day/night long (I guess you understand what I mean).

We have rented a house in Sa Riera. Is it true that the Begur/Sa Riera area is "better" than other Costa Brava areas (in my definition of the word) or what can I expect? Which villages/cities within 1-2 hours driving where we can enjoy the Spanish culture, sights and food should we visit during our 2 weeks stay and which areas should we better avoid?

We are a Norwegian/Dutch couple living in Germany and do not want to go to Spain to bump into "neighbours" from home (or drunk British tourists) and eat the food from home!!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

The area around Begur does not attract people looking for a 'party' type holiday. Most of the accommodation is self catering villas and apartments or small hotels. You will find a variety of nationalities but if you visit in July or August the vast majority will be Spanish.

There are many places to visit within 2 hours drive. Barcelona, Gerona and Figures are the main citys but personally I prefer to get in the car and explore the smaller towns and villages inland.

I think the nature of the area changes once you travel south down the coast beyond Tossa, a fantastic scenic drive to Tossa. To the north of Begur L'Estartit is a bit more geared up for package tourists but is still relatively low key and if you are into diving is the place to go.

There are plenty of restaurants in Begur providing local menus.

I,m sure you will not be disappointed with Begur and most other holiday makers will be on your wavelength.

Tyneside, England
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

You have absolutely nothing to worry about...the area around Begur is perfect for what you want...I've been a regular visitor for five years and never seen a football shirt or drunken Brit.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,095 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Very low key, so no worries there. Really for family holidays rather than groups of twenty-somethings.

Popular with Dutch and French particularly (in our experience staying in Pals in July every year) and to a lesser extent Germans (few Brits) . But mainly Catalans (not many Spaniards from other areas).

We love it!

Level Contributor
146 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Thanks to all of you. Sounds like this is the right choice for us. Looking forward to the stay!

LOS ANGELES
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Hi,

We have a close friend who has offered us her home for a week at the end of June as a honeymoon present. We both live in Los Angeles and are very interested! Do you think it would be a great place for a honeymoon too? My fiancee and I have been to France, Germany, Italy and the UK, but neither of us have been to Spain. We would love to go, but want to make sure that we're not going to a crazy tourist trap.

With best wishes,

Guppy

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Hi! I LIVE in Begur and I can assure you that all of the replies you've received are accurate. I've never seen a drunken Brit (I'm a Brit and have chosen to live here because there aren't any!!!) This area of the Costa Brava is beautiful and yes, it's considered the jewel in the crown of the area. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If you need any more advice from someone who lives here, get in touch.

LOS ANGELES
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Excellent. Thank you so much! We're really excited.

With best wishes!

NORWAY
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

I am a British person living in Norway and I don`t take kindly to being stereotyped. There are plenty of drunk Norwegian tourists too these days and more than enough of drunk Norwegian hooligans on a Saturday night in Norway!!!!!!!! When was the last time you were back in Norway?

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Justino

please don't be upset, Musken ( I do not know personally , just from forum posts ) does not mean to be insulting.

If you do use tripadvisor a lot, like some of us do, you will see similar posts on different forums.

These days you have to be sort of politically correct. But the reason people use certain stereotypes is that they want to avoid certain types of resorts. For example, I am German living in UK ( you can see that from looking at my profile ) , if I posted on a forum I would also use drunk Brits/towel on deckchair Germans as a stereotype because if you are widely travelled unfortunately there are certain types of resorts ( which neither Musken or I would want to holiday in) frequented by said above.

That is not saying drunk Norwegians,Germans, Spaniards,Americans etc are preferred or don't exist. If you start reading Florida forums for example you will notice you want to avoid certain places during Spring Break, however other Americans do not get upset being stereotyped, they just know what people mean describing certain types.

Having just spent a weekend in Paris however, I did not see the same sights you would in London at 1am or any big city in the UK, we just have a different drinking culture in the UK.

On the other hand if you are the party loving type etc , people make that clear in their posts too so that like minded people can reply.

Once you get used to reading a lot of forums you sort of get used to it, of course we all know that every nationality has it's flaws etc. None of us mean to upset other nationalities but it is a somewhat "coded" talk that takes a little while to decipher.

Please don't take it personally , the post is not meant to offend Brits at all !

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Begur/Sa Riera area: Authentic/charming or "tourist trap"

Very well explained, Terminal2.

Get answers to your questions about Begur