We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

samm65
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could offer me some advice please.

I am travelling with my husband and daughter to Sa Punta, Begur in August.

We fly to Barcelona and are doing a few different places along the way using the trains before basing ourselves in accomoodation in Sa Punta, Begur where we will be joined by my sister and her husband.

I have looked at both the train and the bus to Girona and Flaca and bus connections from Girona to Palafrugell from Girona/Flaca.

We will be hiring a car but are hoping to hire one car with my sister and her husband (minimising those carbon footprints a little) but they do not arrive into Girona until late at night so ideally would like them to pick up the car at the airport. Which leaves us to reach the accommodation by public transport if possible.

Sorry this is so long winded, my questions therefore are (bearing in mind this will be Sunday travelling)

1 - Is it easy enough to find where we would catch a bus at Flaca? Do they come into the rail station? or is there a seperate bus stop?

2 - How much is a taxi approxiamately from Flaca to Begur?

3 - How much approxiamately is a taxi from Palafrugell to Begur? (The bus goes from Girona (via Flaca) to Palafrugell on a Sunday.

4 - Does anyone know a car rental company that hires on a Sunday in Flaca (assuming we get two cars)

5 - Does anyone know any car hire companies in Santa Susanna? - we will be there the night before as we have some kayakking planned - so travelling to Begur from there (again assuming we end up with two cars)

and finally! -

6 - How easy is it to get from the bus/rail station at Girona to the airport if we have to hire a second car from there?

Many many thanks in advance for any help or advice offered,

Sam x

north london
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Are you sure that sa punta is actually in Begur not Platja de Pals this will affect your route.Look at the website of sarfa the local bus company

samm65
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi there,

Many thanks for your response, its very much appreciated.

All the information i had originally said Begur, accommodation address Sa Punta, just looked at more info and i think youre right, Sa Punta, Platja de Pals is showing on the website advert for the villa. The main Pals beach is 5 mins on foot and Sa Riera 10mins.

I'm now stumped as i have as you have suggested relooked at Sarfa but the bus doesnt go to Pals on a Sunday it seems and i'm now not sure if the Palafrugell option is feasible?

Really wish my sister and her husband hadnt opted for a Sunday arrival!

Any further suggestion or advice would be very very welcome, i'm starting to pull my hair out lol

Sam x

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Sam,

I hope the following answer some of your questions:

1.I don't think you will get a bus from the railway station at Flaca, especially on a Sunday night.

2. I called a taxi company for you to ask the prices of Taxis........... Begur to Flaca is €40 and Begur to Palafrugell is €13.

As you are finding out, public transport on a Sunday is not very well served in this area!

Finally, there are regular buses from the bus station in Girona out to the airport, this should be no problem. The bus station is by the railway station.

Good luck with this, i can see why you're tearing your hair out! Get in touch if I can be of further help.

Denise

samm65
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Denise,

Many many thanks for your reply. I didnt expect you to go to the trouble of phoning a taxi company for me! - Thanks ever so much.

I'm now going to look how far Platja de Pals is from Begur as it seems that is where the villa is, i'm assuming it is probably not far? The taxi costs will im thinking be somewhat similar to the prices you obtained for me give or take a couple of euros (hopefully anyway)

We can travel anytime on the Sunday, its just my sister and her husband who arrive late at night as they are flying to join us just for the villa week, thought we would prob travel early afternoon.

I had looked at Flaca to catch a bus originally as thought it would not only work out cheaper to get train there and catch a bus than to Girona and catch the bus, but also because we prefer train travel really.

Failing all that we may still end up going for the two car option, though it would of been nice to have just the one for us all.

We would go back and pick them up later but its going to end up around midnight and we dont fancy dragging our daughter out at that time on roads we will at that point barely know.

On the hair pulling front i have less now than i did yesterday! lol

Thanks again Denise your help is very much appreciated,

Sam x

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Sam,

So glad you are getting sorted!

I drive to Platja de Pals from Begur almost every day and it takes me less than 15 mins.

The taxi company I contacted for you is in Begur, their number is: (34)696998835. It might be a good idea to have it with you just in case there's none there at the railway station!!

Good luck, and have a great holiday!

Denise

samm65
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Denise,

Thought it was about time i posted back on here.

We are still not 100% sorted and we leave for Barcelona next week! lol

We have decided to hire one car and my sister and her husband will pick that up from Girona when they land late in the evening the week after next.

We are still hoping to use public transport the rest of the time. I'm not worried for the part travelling Barcelona to Girona or possibly Flaca but Im still wondering if we will reach the villa from there by this method on a Sunday afternoon but we shall see!

What i was wondering is do the local supermarkets open on a Sunday? - I'm assuming that they probably will but it would be nice to make sure so that we know we can buy a few supplies.

Many thanks in advance,

Samantha

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Samantha,

I'm a bit concerned that you're going to have difficulties getting around without a car! Public transport will get you to and from bigger towns, but you'll miss out on all the beautiful, smaller villages and beaches.

Yes, supermarkets are open all day on Sundays, here on the coast, inland, not. They generally open between 9 am and 9pm although personally I try to shop well before 9pm as SOMETIMES they close early without an warning! If you're here for Sunday morning it's worth going to Palafrugell market (15mins drive) for fabulous fruit, veggies, local olives, cheeses, cold meats etc. There is also a fish and meat market.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Cheers!

Denise

samm65
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I've probably not explained myself well at all.

We fly to Barcelona next week and are having 4 days there then we will move along the coast (maresme) to Santa Susanna for a couple of days as we have some kayakking planned there so for that part we dont require a car at all as we will use the train along the coast.

The next part is where it gets complicated. My sister and her husband are joining us for a week from the 24th (Sunday) they fly into Girona but not until late that evening.

Ideally we wanted to just have one car for us all and as they will definately need a car to get to the property we have decided its best for them to pick it up from the airport and thus be able to drop it back there for their transport back.

We did consider getting the car ourselves and driving back to the airport to pick them up but my husband didnt fancy driving back at night on roads he wont know too well plus it meant they would have problems getting back to the airport the following Sunday as again they do not fly until late and we will be leaving them to head to our next destination for our last few nights earlier that afternoon.

Hope that makes sense. So we will have a car but not until that Sunday night.

So we just have to negotiate public transport to get from Santa Susanna to Platja de Pals and thats where i think the fun will start! EEK!

I read about the market at Palafrugell and actually wondered if when we 'hopefully' get there via bus if it would be feasible to pick a few bits up. Love fresh produce from markets and i love olives so thats really made me want to be able to do that. Trouble is we will have luggage at that point!

Is there an actual bus station or rest area near the bus stop in Palafrugell do you know Denise? We will have to get a taxi from there anyway so could delay that for half an hour or so for a browse of the market if we took it in turns to maybe have a coffee and look after the luggage.

Many thanks,

Samantha

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi,

Yes, there is a bus station in Palafrugell, about 10 mins walk from the market. I'm not sure if they have left luggage lockers, but it would be worth a try, huh?

If you come out of the bus station and cross the road (Lidl ahead!) go left and there's a cafe a few minutes walk away where you could sit with your luggage.

You'll LOVE the market, but, be prepared, it will be very crowded at this time of year, but still worth the visit.

Good luck!

Denise

samm65
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Begur on a Sunday via Train/Bus

Hi Denise,

Thats brilliant, thanks for that info.

Id the market just a morning one or does it run into the afternoon too?

Sam x

Get answers to your questions about Begur
Recent Conversations