We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa brava or almalfi coast

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
costa brava or almalfi coast

My husband and I end our cruise in Barcelona, on Sept. 19. As it is a port intense cruise we are going to spend about a week just relaxing by the sea. We will site see when we feel like it but really just plan to relax and enjoy the sun and local sites. We are debating between some place on the Costa Brava, probably Begur or driving to the Amalfi coast, Sorrento specifically. Any advice would be appreciated.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

Hello,

Firstly, only you can decided which country you'd prefer to explore, but i can give you some information about Begur.

This Medieval village is ideally situated as a good base for exploring the Costa Brava. It's 1.5hrs drive from Barcelona, an hour from Girona (a beautiful city) and an hour from Figueres, home of the famous Dali Mueseum.

In September, Begur and surrounding area will be quieter than August, but still with plenty happening. There are some great restaurants, bars and fabulous boutiques for shopping. Begurs' beach is the beautiful Sa Riera, a Blue Flag beach with a few places to eat.

Around Begur and within a 15 min drive there are other fabulous beach resorts such as Llafranc, Tamarui, Sa Tuna and Calella de Palafrugell to name a few. There are also many ancient, pretty villages if you like to wander around history!

I hope this helps!

Get back to me if you need for information.

Kind regards,

Denise

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

Is this plan for Amalfi coast before you embark in Naples or Costa Brava after the cruise?? Denise was very subtle on this point. From Barcelona it's nearly 2000km drive to Sorrento, round through France and much of Italy, or alternatively overnight ferry to Civitavecchia then still a fair drive. I think even for western Canadians that's a long way!

Begur and the mid Costa Brava is a lovely area. The cliffs aren't as high as in that part of Italy but the Empordá has lovely countryside inland too and is sometimes referred to as the Tuscany of Spain.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

I agree with both of the answers above that Begur is your best bet.

While I love Italy and particularly the Amalfi coast a day trip to Sorrento is my limit, I would rather stay further up the coast around Ravello. If you take the easy option and stick with Spain you won´t be disappointed as long as you avoid the major tourist areas of Salou, Loret etc.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

Thanks Denise - your information is just what I needed. I'm going to book a hotel in Begur and we can explore the interesting places surrounding it. I'm thinking of either the Aguablava Hotel or the Convent, or the Parador Aguablava. Any advice on which to choose.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

Thanks for the info - we'll go with Begur, it sounds lovely.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

Any of these hotels would be a good choice. My personal favourite is El Convent which is gorgeous, very romantic, lovely candlelit garden for dining at night and ideally located for both the town and the beach.

Good luck!

Denise

Miami
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

as spectacular as amafli is , i agree a drive from Barcelona be very very long. begur is fantastic and a short drive from Barcelona. The Sa Riera beach is quite pleasant and it has a few cool litlle strip of tapas bars along a malecon. we took a boat ride along the coast , a must see and do with some very nice folks who work out of the sa riera hotel (costa bravo diving , i think was the outfits name)the sa riera hotel is a basic beach hotel with parking and really the best location as close to the beach as you can get. the staff is not very nice(read reviews) but the place is clean and as i said a short walk to the beach and the strip of nice little bars located along what is a beautiful beach. Its also a short drive up to Begur's centro urbano, which is fun with good food and shopping. ( by the way we were just there in June). The Parador, we thought, was not worth the extra $'s and its beach is not as nice.

8. Re: costa brava or almalfi coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Begur
Recent Conversations