We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Begur questions

Which Begur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Begur questions

Hi there, I have a few questions about Begur. I hope its not the wrong thing to do to put them in one posting:

1. We are staying between Begur and Sa Riera. Is there anywhere that has public wi-fi access in that area?

2. What's the weather like? We were wondering whether we would need to bother packing a rain-coat. When I checked a long range forecast last week, the weather for the Costa Brava this weekend (just gone) was for rain. Was there any?, would be be likely to ever need a coat?

3. How feasible is a side-trip to Barcelona. We have a car, but I wasn't certain about the practicality of driving to the outskirts. I've read that a train runs from Flaca, but I found the .renfe.es website very odd. It only seemed to want to give me trips out at 9PM and back at 7AM.

Many thanks

Knaresborough and...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Begur questions

hello

there is free wifi at the vintage bar by cap sa sal but it needs a password which they will give you

many restautants and hotels also have wifi - there are at least 2 in sa riera by the bay.

Galena has great food and free wifi

also for 2 Euros you can buy at the tourist information, 5 hours of wifi which works in the main square.

the weather is changeable, often windy out of season but pretty reliable at this time of year - we have just come back from 2 weeks at it was very hot. if it rains for an hour it is often very hot and sunny the next - when do you go?

The train from Flaca is regular and also cheap - less than 10 euros - takes you right in to teh middle of town. we tend to catch Caldes which is a bit further by car but on the way to Barcelona

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Begur questions

Onemanandhisdog

Thanks for the reply. We're off at the end of the week, so I expect it will be hot with continued hot but, since we've paid Ryanair a King's ransom, we could perhaps pack light raincoats just in case.

For the WiFi I just need somewhere where I can sit in a quiet corner and check e-mail. However, if there is a crisis then I might need a few hours connected.

<<cap sa sal>>

I don't know that place. Where is it?

Thanks

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Begur questions

Cap de Sal is on the way to Sa Tuna, from Begur. Take this road to Sa Tuna and look out for signs (on the left) to Aguiafreda and Cap de Sal. The Vintage Hotel is well signed. The trains run from Flaca to BCN more or less every hour from 6:18am. The last one back from BCN is 9:15pm, I think.

Personally I don't think you'll need a raincoat, and certainly not a coat!!! It's averaging 29 degrees here at present.

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Begur questions

Denise

<<Personally I don't think you'll need a raincoat>>

Well you are clearly the expert, so I'll be positive and leave them behind. However, the forecast for tomorrow is thunderstorms so I'll be curious to see how you get on. I don't mind, but my kids might object to getting too wet ;-)

It sounds like the tourist office might be the best bet for wi-fi. Our villa is towards Sa Riera rather than Sa Tuna. I'd like to think I wouldn't have to bother at all, but somehow I doubt it. Even though I have an O2 dongle, even their own website cautions against using it abroad.

If we did go to Barcalona would it be horribly hot in August, or OK? I'd like to see it, but it could always wait for another time.

Thanks

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Begur questions

Bcn is definitely worth a visit, so much to do and see. YES, it will be horribly hot and very crowded, but if you can cope with both it's a fabulous city. Set yourself a plan of what you can realistically do in a day and save the rest for another time, otherwise you'll end up completely frazzled!!!

I live between Begur and Sa Riera........ where are you staying?

The forecast for last week was 3 days of thunderstorms... we had 15 mins of lightning and thunder, about 6 raindrops here in Begur. However, in Girona there was flooding!!

Hope this helps!

Denise

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Begur questions

Denise

The address is something like "Pau Casals". I've looked on Google Earth and its pretty near the back (if you see what I mean).

I don't have a clear idea of just whether it is feasible to walk to and from the beach/town. I'm not *too* worried by the hills, but if the roads are very narrow and without pavements I wonder if it will be safe (especially at night). We'll have a car, but I don't want to have to drive *everywhere*.

Also, what's the parking like at the beach?

Ta

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Begur questions

Hmmm... don't know Pau Casals....

From Mas Mato you can walk to the beach (safely) in 10-15mins. I'm on the same level as Hotel El Convent; if you're further up the hill it will take you a little longer.

Walking to the town is via a steepish hill with no footpaths. It's OK in the daylight but personally I wouldn't walk back at night, mainly due to crazy drivers! I did it once and didn't feel very safe. It should take you about 15mins, again, depending on where you're located. Maybe walk up there in the early evening and take a cab back?

I hope this helps.

Denise

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Begur questions

PS Parking at the beach is fine, there are plenty of spaces. It's paid parking up until 6pm (I think!).

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Begur questions

Denise

We're going to be way up here http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Calle+de+Pau+Casals,+Begur,+Girona,+Catalonia,+Spain&sll=41.963511,3.200991&sspn=0.011472,0.01869&ie=UTF8&ll=41.962984,3.201077&spn=0.011472,0.01869&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A so it looks like we'll be driving! Not a problem, but it would be nice to be able to have a glass of wine with lunch ;-)

A taxi back in the evening sounds line a good idea.

Ta

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Begur questions

Yes, I had a look.....you're off the road that leads to Sa Tuna (gorgeous!) but will need transport. I can give you the number of a local taxi driver if you need one, he's reliable and speaks some English! Let me know.

Denise

Get answers to your questions about Begur