We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Begur without a car

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Begur without a car

Eight of us are looking forward to spending 2 weeks in a villa close to the coast near Sa Tuna in May 2011. We hope to minimize driving around and would, for example, like to be able to walk from our villa to the town of Begur without taking long route on the winding streets or take a bus from Begur to Roses. But we have been having a tough time finding a) a map or guide of walking pathes/trails for the area and b) local public transit routes and schedules.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

Hello,

It is possible to walk to Begur from Sa Tuna along the coastal path (mostly). As far as I know there is no public transport between the two places, but I will ask in the Tourist Info office next time I go in if that helps. You would definitely not take a bus anywhere near roses if you want to go to Sa Tuna; Roses is an hours´drive away.

For bus timetables/routes in general, look at www.sarfa.es

Have you tried contacting the Tourist Info office in Begur for information about maps? www.beguronline.com/touristoffice

I hope this helps.

Denise

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

Thank you for the information. The bus link was very helpful. I still am at a loss finding a good map of hilking/walking trails around Begur. I have also not been able to find a shop that rents bicycles in Begur although there are several in Girona and a few of the Beguir area hotels do indicate that they have bicycles available but I assume just for hotel guests.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

Re bikes.... contact Daniel on www.creativecatalonia.com. He hires bikes as well as organising guided cycling and walking trails.

Denise

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

The local tourist office and newsagents sell a good book and accompanying map of walks, available in several languages.We have used it many times without getting lost. Although it has an ISBN number we were unable to find a shop or website selling it in UK. The large tourist information office just off the roundabout near Pals would have it so you could buy one when you arrive.

There are many well marked walking trails in the area and helpfully sign posts give timings as well as distance but the book is useful for finding circular routes.

There are lots of villas advertised on www.ownersdirect.co.uk most will tell you if within walking distance of Begur.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
82 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

It's a relatively easy walk from Sa Tuna up to Begur ,especially if you walk via Aiguafreda.

There is a really good footpath which is actually an old road. It takes about 45 minutes from Aiguafreda.(uphill all the way though)

Look at www.begur.cat , (which is available in English) then click the link to beaches and coves. At the bottom of the page there is a map of the footpaths around Sa Tuna and Sa Riera. There are also a couple of books available showing walks in Baix Emporda and a very good map for walks around Begur (These are stocked at the newspaper shops in Begur).

There is a most pleasant walk using the costal paths and the cami de ronda from Aiguafrida to Sa Riera and even as far as Platja del Raco/ de Pals.

During the summer months there are regular buses from the centre of Begur to both Sa Tuna and Sa Riera beaches.(€1) They run until mid-September, but I don't know when they start ( probably not until June).

You probably wouldn't want to hire bikes as it is extremely hilly ! The El Convent hotel (near Sa Riera) used to hire out mopeds.(www.hotelconventbegur.com) . Whilst they didn't seem to be doing them this year, they should be able to tell you where you can hire them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

Hola, along the same line I'm interested in hiking along GR-92, either from Llafranc towards Begur area or opposite direction. Is this supposed to be an easy or challenging hike? Would I be able to cover this over half day (4-5) hours? Any suggestions appreciated

Bristol
Level Contributor
398 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

Just got back from Llafranc. Didnt do this walk this time but have done it before. Yes about 4 hours I'd say. Its a nice walk a couple of steepish sections but nothing too strenuous. Its a good mixture, some walking through woodland some scrambling over rocks some up and down hills and some fatastic views at the light house.

you need good traainers or walking shoes and plenty of water.

Westport...
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

I think parking can be difficult at the beaches near Begur-so public transportation/walking I think would be a great option! We even had some difficulty parking in late May!We spent 2 nights in Begur at a great hotel (Aguaclara) and went to the Sa Tuna beach and had an outstanding lunch at the hotel restaurant right on the beach. (I had incredible mussels and my husband is till talking about his calamari and bean dish!! The beach is a bit rocky but it was our favorite for the view and coastline!

9. Re: Getting around Begur without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Begur
Recent Conversations