We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girona to Begur area

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Girona to Begur area

Will be in Girona mid September for 1 week and would like to go to the coast, using public transport. Would Begur be a good choice for an over night stay ?

Also, I am nervous of heights so will this be a difficulty if going to Sa Tuna for example?

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girona to Begur area

Begur is a beautiful place for an overnight stay, but not the most convenient place to stay when relying on public transportation.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girona to Begur area

IOk is it possible to rent a car in Begur or nearby rather than from Girona as I am used to driving abroad.

As I am nervous, might be better to start out on rural roads?

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girona to Begur area

You could rent a car from the Girona airport., which is actually located fifteen minutes or so south of the city of Girona and the roads around there are quite rural. The car rentals at the train station are right in the heart of the town so that is likely what you are trying to avoid. There may be car rental at some of the other train stations, such as Flaca which is the closest stop to Begur. There is definitely car rental at Figueres train station, but that is a bit out of your way on the north side.

Hopefully some of the regular posters from that area will see your post soon and help out with that, and also to let you know about how to avoid the high spots.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girona to Begur area

If you take the train from Girona to Flaca you can get a taxi to Begur in about 30-40mins. There is a car hire place in Begur.

Alternatively, you can get a bus from Girona bus station to Palafrugell ( it's the Palamos bus). From here you have a couple of options, one is you can hire a car from this town, though not from the bus station, then drive to Begur in 15 mins. , or, there is a bus to Begur from Palafrugell bus station. I believe you have to wait at least an hour for this bus but it will drop you at the top of the town of Begur and the car hire place is 3 mins walk from there.

I hope this helps.

Denise

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girona to Begur area

Thank you for all that advice. Will def take the bus to Palafrugell and hire a car from there and hopefully the roads will be easier to manage than those around Girona city.

As I am not great with heights/cliffs, can you give me any tips in advance so that I dont have too many surprises while touring the coast?

6. Re: Girona to Begur area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 12:18