We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

Which Begur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north of england
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

Hi I am bringing my mum to Begur in July - she's in her mid 80s, able bodied and quite fit for her age but doesn't really want to be tackling any steep uphill walks! We are thinking of staying at the mas Comangau and I was wondering how far it is to walk into town and if it is on the flat or hilly? How much would a taxi cost from the hotel into town? Another hotel I am considering is the classic Begur which seems more central - has anybody stayed there?

All replies gratefully anticipated!

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

Mas Comangau hotel is not far from the town, but you will have to walk up a hill from the town to get back there. Look at the Agiaclara Hotel which it right in the centre of the town, or Hotel Rosa which is very close and up a very slight incline.

north of england
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

Thank you for your prompt reply Denise - approx. how many metres is mas Comangau from the centre? Is it easy to get taxis for such a short distance or are they a rip-off? Is parking in the centre very difficult in July and how much does it cost? the classic hotel says there is free parking "at a site nearby"? I was thinking of choosing the mas Comangau because it has free on-site parking.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

I think, if you come in July, you should consider the "seashore hotels" like Sa Riera. There are very comfortable rooms for too there, with too separated beds, air conditioning, in the end of the building (more quieter than other rooms), facing the sea with a big balcony (if I remember right, these are rooms 121, 122). Your mom will breathe the sea air and look at the sea even in the case if she will be too tired or the weather will be too hot etc. There are good walks from Sa Riera along the sea. In July there is a bus connection between Sa Riera and Begur (7 or 8 buses per day). 5--7 minutes by bus or by car between Sa Riera and Begur (30 minutes if to walk down from Begur to Sa Riera by footpath). Begur is a very beautiful town, view from the Begur castle is awesome. But one day to see it's enough for such small place. In summer, it's interesting mostly at nights with restaurants, bars, cafes, parties, dancings etc. During the day better to be more close to the sea. My favorite place is Sa Riera.

I wish you and your mom a pleasant journey!

knaresborough
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

i agree with Denise - Hotel Rosa is nice but Aiguaclara is special and right in the middle of begur

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

I have no idea how far it is in terms of meters, but it would take approx. 1 minute in a taxi! If the hill is an issue, I would go for the Aigiaclara or the Rosa. Parking close to the town can be a problem in the summer, but there is paid parking which is not too expensive. However, your mum will still have to climb steps from the paid parking into the centre of the town. You may be lucky to get on street parking, but in summer it is more difficult.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
65 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

As Denise suggests the Aiguaclara would be a good choice,being right in the centre of town,on flat terrain and with a few of it s own private parking spaces directly opposite the hotel ( I would think that a space must be booked in advance in the summer and will be chargeable).

I have no idea where the Classic free parking would be.It would certainly be a good walk.

Mas Commengau is a great hotel with a great restaurant and whilst there is free parking outside, it is not over-endowed with spaces ( a handful)

The paid for parking in town in the summer is very expensive ( overnight stay cost €18.00 two years ago so may be even more now)

If you decide on the Aiguaclara, you'll need to book very quickly as they are usually fully booked all summer.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 21:34
north of england
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

Thanks to all for your helpful replies - much appreciated. Holiday now all booked!

8. Re: elderly mum in Begur - classic hotel or mas comangau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Begur