We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire advice

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire advice

My husband and I would like to rent a car for exploring Costa Brava for a few days, based around Begur. We'll be in Barcelona for almost a week in late May (staying in Eixample) before renting a car, and after Costa Brava we'll be taking the train to Paris (either from Barcelona or Figueres). I'm looking for advice on where to pick up/drop off a rental car in order to avoid stressful driving in the city. We have driven in Provence, Piedmont and Tuscany before so I'm not worried about driving around Costa Brava but driving in/out of big cities makes us a little more nervous (we had some interesting experiences driving out of Florence and Turin…)

I see a few options - any advice on what would be best is much appreciated!

1. Pick up and drop off car in Barcelona and take train from there to Paris. How tricky is it driving from/to the train station in Barcelona vs. the airport? If it is a lot easier to drive from/to the airport we would consider the extra hassle and cost of renting at the airport.

2. Pick up car in Barcelona and return in Figueres (at train station - same question about difficulty of driving to train station in Figueres), then take train from there to Paris.

3. Avoid driving out of Barcelona altogether by taking train somewhere closer to Begur to pick up car and return same place or in Figueres. Would this make sense? Where would be a good pick up location?

Thanks!

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire advice

You could take the train to Girona and pick up a hire car there, then drive to the Costa Brava from there, about one hour. This would be far less stressful than driving out of Barcelona in my opinion. I'm not sure if you can get the train to Paris from Girona, but if not, take a train from Girona after returning the hire car, to Figuesres. Easy!

I'm currently on vacation in Florence and know exactly what you mean!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire advice

I have similar question ... we will be in Barcelona for 4 days (beginning of June) and plan to rent a car on the last day to drive to Valencia. Please suggest car rental locations in Barcelona which are away from the city center so that we do not have to drive thru the major traffic areas.

Thank you

3. Re: Car hire advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Begur