We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

Which Barstow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

We are flying into LV in late March and then traveling by rental car to San Diego via I-15 with one overnight stop in Barstow. If we fill our gas tank before leaving LV and are renting a small SUV, should we be okay on gas until we get to Barstow? Someone who lives in AZ told me that opportunities to buy gas are few and far between in that area, and I am concerned about running out of gas. We are also planning on taking a detour between LV and Barstow into Mojave National Preserve. Is there a gas station there? I don't mean to sound naive, but this person from AZ said that they knew someone who ran out of gas along I-15 twice, and that concerns me, unless of course it was just a case of poor planning on that person's part.

Thanks!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

From Las Vegas to Barstow direct is about 160 miles or so, well within a gas tank tange. However, if you plan to do a lot of meandering, there is gas at Baker. The gas isn't cheap but it's only about 100 miles from LV, so you won't need that much.

There are no visitor services in Mojave NP. Bring your water, picnic food, etc. with you. If you come back out at Baker, it's about 60 miles from Baker to Barstow. If you come out the south side of the park at Kelbaker Road, it's about 30 miles to Ludlow, where there are gas stations.

Were you the onez interested in old Route 66? If you go south on Kelbaker Road, it takes you to National Trails Hwy, the name for that part of 66 in the Mojave Desert. Amboy is a cool Route 66 town along that stretch. With this detour, it's a little under 50 miles from where you exit the park to Ludlow. From Ludlow to Barstow is another 50 miles, and you can stay on 66 and see Newberry Springs, the setting for the movie "Bagdad Cafe." AFAIK, the restaurant is open, but the motel that was in the movie isn't.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

In this day and age you would be hard pressed to run out of gas on a freeway. As mentioned above, there are plenty of gasstations in baker(might aswell stop at the mad greek cafe for some food and milshake)

Just enjoy your drive, fill up your car in Vegas and Baker and you will be fine

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

FR and Alex are spot on. Take your time for Mojave Nat. Preserve and stop at Kelso Depot. Museum and visitor center. Also stop in Amboy at Roy's Cafe. (You can't miss the neonsign) Again, restaurant is open for business bit the motel is closed (asbestos was found in it). There also is a fuel pump but I'm not sure it they really has gas...

Tet

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

Thanks for the information. I kind of thought it would be a silly question, considering how many people drive I-15, but as I said, a friend of a friend ran out of gas in that area twice (obviously the result of poor planning on their part!), so I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

The cheapest gas I've found out there is in Barstow at the Circle K. Exit "Main Street East" and head west towards downtown. In less than a mile you'll see the Circle K on the right.

Baker is the most expensive; 30 cents to 50 cents more per gallon.

Ludlow prices are in between. The gas station on the south side of the freeway has a Dairy Queen!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

The last couple of times I've been in Baker, the price of gas wasn't bad. In fact, it was cheaper than at the station I filled up at in Barstow!

Anyone who ran out of gas twice on I-15 is definitely a poor planner.

Oh, and be sure to stop for a fresh strawberry shake at The Mad Greek in Baker.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

OOPS!

I made a mistake about the Dairy Queen in the gas station in Ludlow. The Chevron station is on the south side. It's the gas station on the NORTH side that has the DQ.

Sorry.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

What difference does it make what side the DQ is on? Ludlow is so small that you can't miss it, and OTOH if you go by on I-40 too quickly, you'll miss Ludlow altogether.

:)

9. Re: Availability of Gas Between Las Vegas and Barstow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 12:17