We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Which Barstow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

We are leaving Vegas atat 8am to get to San Diego on a Friday in August with 2 adults and 2 15 year olds.

I'm thinking that I shoud grab a coffee and muffins to eat in the car and then perhaps stop in Barstow for lunch, the kids won't make the drive without a proper meal.

Where do you think we could eat a decent lunch (nothing fancy) where we can park and be back on the road within an hour. The kids eat the normal burgers, pizza and chicken.

We want to get to San Diego as soon as poss as we have so much to fit in on the three days that we are there.

Many Thanks Sandra

11 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Have you looked at TA's list and reviews? Good Luck. Chuck...

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60902-Barstow_C…

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Just before Barstow in Yermo, some people like Peggy Sues diner for the 50's feel to it. I've never been in there.

www.peggysuesdiner.com

If you keep driving to the Lenwood exit in Barstow, you will find Tommys Original chili burgers, In-n-Out Burgers, Carls Jr , you name it. Fast food city.

If you keep driving beyond that to Victorville, you will find nicer sit down family type restaurants. Everything is just a minute or two off the highway, so it should not take long.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Our favorite place to stop is Tom's Farms, though it might be too far along, unless you ate a hearty breakfast in Las Vegas. It is located after Corona and before Lake Elsinore. You would take the Temescal Canyon Road exit from Interstate 15 and follow the signs. Tom's Farms started 40 years ago as a roadside fruit and vegetable store, which is still there, but has grown into a larger complex with several stores, and a pleasant shady park with a pond and a gazebo where there is sometimes live music. There is a hamburger restaurant, a pizza deli, a Mexican restaurant, various gourmet food shops and I think an antique store. Great fresh bread for a song. They even have a small petting zoo and a few small rides now. It makes for a great stretch-your-legs and get something to eat and rest stop. As long as you ate well in the morning at Vegas, you could make it to Tom's Farms for a nice lunch. After Tom's Farms you would have an easy drive of about 1 hour to San Diego. http://tomsfarms.com/

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,921 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Look at the map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/bnLS

You can go to three well known California burger places at one off ramp, plus other choices there. In 'n Out, Tommy's Burgers (chili cheese burgers) or Carl's Jrs.

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Thanks everyone, sound like lots of places to stop - too much choice in the US - Can't wait

Sandra

Jakarta
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

We are planning to drive from Las Vegas to Santa Barbara but would like to do it in two stages. Is there an interesting place with a decent motel in between the two for a stopover? Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,849 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Leaving Las Vegas at 8am you will be in Barstow by 10am so some of the places mentioned wont be open yet and others wont be serving lunch yet.

Id just play it by ear, stop when you want and not plan it. As you can see many options in Barstow the next city after Barstow is Victorville (about 25 minutes past Barstow) and then after that you are down into the Metro LA area. From there all the way to San Diego is jus suburbia with food options off every exit.

My preference when I make the drive, which I do often is eat something in the morning before I leave get in my car and go not stopping until Im home in San Diego. It takes about 4 1/2 hours from The Strip to where I live in Downtown San Diego.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

I think Footloose is going to Santa Barbara.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

There's the Mad Greek in Baker, a very popular quick-order place with a varied menu, several good Mexican restaurants in Barstow, the food court inside Costco in Victorville (air conditioned), and many choices of motels along the way.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow

Footloose - Your question is actually quite different from the old thread you've added a reply to. I suggest opening a new topic and reposting your question there.

Reply to: Vegas to San Diego - stop at Barstow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted