We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Which Barstow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pascagoula
4 posts
Save Topic
Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Hi I have to go to Barstow to pick up a vehicle I purchased at a government auction. After reading several post on another site, and a few on this site I am now scared to death. Most of the post I have read make Barstow sound like I will just be asking to get mugged or killed if i go there. Barstow sounds like a nightmare. Can a white Mississippi boy make it Barstow for a day or two and live to tell about it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

40 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Hmmff. This thread somehow didn't age out. So I'm wondering if the gentleman from Pascagoula made to Barstow and got his car, and if he made it out in one piece.

22. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 December 2015, 00:35

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,632 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

David, welcome to Trip Advisor! It is helpful to check the original date of any thread before you reply... this is three years old, so presumably the original poster has picked up their car and gone on their merry way.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

OTOH, he could have become another of Barstow's victims, never to be seen again. Or he might have found Barstow so alluring, exotic, and exciting that he never left and is still here, endlessly cruising Old Route 66 in his government-auction car.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

If he was walking to Barstow to get the car, he might just now be arriving.

>>You have more to be afraid of from the cops in Barstow.<<

With all due respect that is complete hogwash!

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Barstow isn't scary. It isn't fun, but it isn't scary. You'll be fine. I'm interested to see the posts you were reading. I go through there all the time on my way to Vegas. We usually stop for a bathroom break and sometimes to eat. Never had a problem. I live in San Diego and I never really hear about any awful stuff going on in Barstow. Its really just a place to refuel on the way to anywhere else. You'll be completely fine.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Hi Michelle -

<<You'll be completely fine.>>

I assume you missed the fact that this thread is 3 yrs old. The Original Poster, Billy M, is LONG GONE. And he never posted back about his experience.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,182 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Most of us realize that, but we're having a good time talking about Barstow.

:-)

Edited: 08 December 2015, 06:14
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Hi Michelle S and welcome to TripAdvisor. We 'long time regulars' usually don't keep talking on a very old thread, but sometimes we like to have a bit of fun :-)

And don't feel bad that you didn't notice the date at the top. It happens!

Most threads that have had no activity for a year are closed by TA staff, but on very slow forums (such as Barstow), they are kept open.

Edited: 08 December 2015, 18:07
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Last reported sighting of the OP:

http://goo.gl/cJdz8a

:)

Reply to: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted