We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barstow KOA

Which Barstow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Barstow KOA

Is the KOA campground near Barstow safe for single female travellers?

6 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barstow KOA

I have never stayed at that particular KOA, but have been RVing for many years. In my experience, all KOAs are safe, family friendly campgrounds - even the one on the Las Vegas strip!

Here are some reviews you can read:

rvparkreviews.com/regions/…Yermo.html

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33295-d1172803…

They all sound good.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barstow KOA

Thank you! That's exactly what I need!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barstow KOA

You're welcome and hope you have a good trip :-)

Are you taking Pooh? LOL

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barstow KOA

I have a different stuffed animal for space things. Touring the Goldstone Deep Space Network facilities. My travelling companions love writing their little children's stories. :^) Was thinking of a few nights in DV afterwards; haven't been National Park camping at all this year.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barstow KOA

Hi Xochipilli!

Welcome back to Death Valley. I hope Furnace Creek will be reopened by the time you get there. It may or may not be what you're looking for, since many of the campsites will be "upgraded"" and will have individual utility hookups. The time we met there, the site I was in was one of my favorites, but now the row right across from it will have utilities. So that will mean more big RV type rigs, but at least they won't be running generators.

However, if that is not what you're after, at least the reopening will make more campsites available parkwide, so you might find more choices at a campground you prefer. I like Texas Springs, which has been the go-to place during the 9 months FC has been closed, so FC's reopening will thin out the numbers at TS.

P.S. That KOA is in Yermo, which is about 15 miles from Barstow. Yermo is the town next to Calico, and my guess is that being so close to Calico would make it a family destination where you'd be comfortable.

P.P.S. How are your kids?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barstow KOA

Tap, Tap! Hey there, Frisco!

The Furnace Creek campground opens on Oct 15, and I'd be tent camping this time (or sleeping in the back of my little Saturn wagon), so the tent loop will be fine if the other area isn't available. What was that site? I was thinking about making a reservation for a spot along that row. If I drive up from Baker and go out Bell Vista, Death Valley is not that far out of my way.

The KOA is listed as officially being in Barstow, that's why I asked the way I did.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 20:12
Reply to: Barstow KOA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted