We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

Geneseo
7 posts
Save Topic
Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

Hi. My boys are die-hard Civil War (Lincoln) buffs (ages 10 & 12). This is a vacation is just for them! We will be staying in Frederick the week of June 29 - July 5th. We plan on going to DC Mon, Tues, Wed and no real plans for Thurs. Is that enough time to see DC? What would be the best way to get to DC? We are driving to Frederick from Illinois and didn't know if we should drive there and try to park in/around DC or take another mode of transportation????

Also, we plan on going to Gettysburg on Friday, July 4th to see the reinactment in the am. Where would be a good place to see fireworks? I am not opposed to traveling back to DC area to do so. I just want this to be a great trip for my boys!!

Thank you for all your help!!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

Any thing that Westminster has, the Frederick area has too, and better. Sorry DOGMOM. :D

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

I just re-read my above post, and I didn't mean for it to come off like that.

I have a lot of friends in Westminster, MD and while I like the area, I think someone coming to Gettysburg and Frederick should stay in those areas to explore them as much as they can. Westminster is really just a suburb. Sure it does have some fun stuff to do for locals, but I don't think that tourists would find the extra drive that rewarding when there are similar things to do in Frederick.

So I didn't mean to come off sounding rude or anything, I just wanted to explain myself.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

don't worry...actually it made me laugh!

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

& you have a point. i'd never think of suggesting westminster as a tourist destination in itself, believe me. the farm museum really does do a good job with special events, though! (& we've got the wine festival, neener neener neener!) :-)

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
37 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

I'll say up-front that I LOVE the Frederick 4th of July, but if you are going to be in the Washington area once in your life, you should go see the fireworks in Washington. It will be crowded - and it my be too much if you are going to Gettysburg in the AM, but the fireworks and the Folklife festival on the National Mall are much more "monumental" than the Frederick events. I would take Metro to the Fireworks rather than driving: dc.about.com/od/4thofjuly/a/GettingtoMall.htm

For the Civil War stuff, Frederick is a great base - there is so much to do. In addition to Gettysburg, these places are an easy drive: Monocacy Battlefield, Antietam Battlefield, Harper's Ferry, South Mountain, the Medicine Museum in Frederick. Check this site for others: www.civilwartraveler.com/EAST/MD/index.html

As for daily travel to DC, depending on your hours, you could take the MARC train from Frederick or Monocacy stations: mtamaryland.com/services/…Brunswick_sched.cfm The Shady Grove Metro is a second option, but traffic makes that about an hour-long drive, plus an hour-long train ride on weekday mornings, though there is a commuter bus to the Metro: mtamaryland.com/services/…991_sched.cfm I would plan my schedule around the MARC train, if I were you. Feel free to email if you need more info.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

Well said Bluestruck. I also forgot to mention Harper's Ferry earlier in this thread. It's not to be missed for Civil War buffs. Good catch!

Geneseo
7 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

I can not thank you all enough! This information is very helpful!! I will be checking out the links today! I am so excited for my boys!!! Thank you again! :)

18. Re: Frederick/DC Trip with kids -July 4th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Frederick