We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using mobile in Turkey

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Using mobile in Turkey

Hi

First time next year in Turkey, We staying in Hisaronu.

Are you able to use mobile? What are the rates and reception like?

Or are we better off leaving it at home and using public telephones

and are these expensive to use.

Many thanks

ceceliax

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

Yes you can use your mobile. Rates for using will depend on the tariff and network you are on. Check with your phone provider.

west midlands
Level Contributor
563 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

Hi i took my mobile with me so we could contact family out there and check on things at home mainly text and made 2 calls my line rental is usuallt 20 pound with my inclusive mins etc my bill on coming home was just under 50 pound im on 3 and when i got to turkey picked up the vodafone network gotta b honest on the day i made the 2 calls reception was terrible texts seemed ok though. Make sure If you do take your mobile switch off roaming and your internet otherwise u will get a shock when your bill arrives.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

Take your mobile with you for emergencies, but buy a phonecard to use in resort.

A 5 lira card will last for around 20 mins.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

Agree with luvturkey get a phone card and only use mobile for emergencies.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,180 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

If you have an internet enabled phone, switch off the roaming facility and you can use the free WIFI in most of the restaurants, bars and hotels. So you can use your emails to keep in touch with home.

Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

Vodafone was £1.65 per minute to make calls this year in Turkey, with texts at 35p if I remember correctly. Your provider should publish this information on their website.

The reception in Ovacik (just up the road from Hisaronu was fine. And definitely turn off the data as that is extortionate!!

Kent
Level Contributor
640 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

I believe Turkey are on the Asian network which is very expensive, I may be wrong??

London, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

T-Mobile was 40p to make and receive txts and £1.50 a minute for calls.

If you turn off data roaming and use free wifi it costs nothing.

I had a 60 quid bill for a week, won't be making that mistake again....! (it's usually £15!)

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

Agree with switch off the mobile roaming! and check your tariff, my free minutes and textsdidnt count and were all charged and ended up with a huge bill.

10. Re: Using mobile in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu