We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

Which Hisaronu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

Which is the safest route to Turkey for someone who is too afraid to fly. Need to get to Hisaronu for a wedding in August 2013. Happy to use trains, ferries and coaches.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

By train - http://www.seat61.com/Turkey.htm#.UG3S01E_J5k

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

I gather you wouldn't wish to drive either? Have been to Turkey by car years ago but takes 3-4 days.

I know there are ferries from Italy to Turkey which you can also take your car on but need to find out which ports.

You can always take a coach to Italy from the uk and then go to Turkey by ferry. Hope someone has clearer advise, if not I'll find out for you.

Coventry
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

Thank you for the rail link. Have looked at that but then have to get from Istanbul to Hisaronu. Am erring towards a ferry from Italy, but will keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks again.

Coventry
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

I am just looking at ferries from Italy as we speak but I must admit I'm not brilliant at navigating the internet, I usually end up going round in circles :-)

Thanks for your suggestion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

Have a look at this one. I think it's more long winded than I imagined as it seems to be Italy-Greece-Turkey.

From the ports of Venice, Ancona, Bari and brindisi to Patras Greece. Then you'd need to get to Athens, from there a ferry to Rhodes, then another to Fethiye.

Hey can I come? You're in for quite an adventure!

ferries-turkey.com/ferry-routes/italy-greece…

Coventry
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

Ha ha, I'ts not me going it's my daughter and her boyfriend. She is going to be a bridesmaid for my other daughter but cannot fly. I was actually looking at the same journey as you and was thinking it's a bit long winded but as she is going to make it into a little holiday of their own it may not be too bad for them. Thanks for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

I'm sure they'll have great fun and get to see lots of amazing places at the same time.

Hope you're daughter has a beautiful wedding day!!!

Nil

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

If you can make it to Venice, there are ferries to Greece from there - …anek.gr/portal/…Routes_Timetables

And then maybe bus across Greece? Who knows? And it'll take forever.

I'd say take the train to Istanbul and then bus down to Fethiye (loads of them).

Too bad you're going in August, I'm heading out there on my motorbike in May, you could be my pillion (although with me it's probably safer to fly!).

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

In '82 I took a bus all the way from Athens to London. Maybe they still do something similar from London To Istanbul?

Although I guess the good old "Magic Bus" days are past now, with cheap flights.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 22:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Turkey from England Via land & sea (not driving)

David - The coach-ferry journey should work out cheaper and be faster. Once they get to the port in Italy and board, the whole journey from then should be a package to Fethiye. Personally I would get on at Brindisi port as this should be the fastest.

Even I wouldn't be your pillion, you sound a bit crazy! (in a good way, of course) :)

You be careful on those motorways in Germany!

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu
Recent Conversations