We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Hi, can anyone help me out please. I just want to know if I've been told right? Thomas Cook said the best way to work it out is you half it and knock a pound off so if I have 50TL I half which makes it 25TL then I knock a pound off so 50TL is roughly £24......is this right??

Never been to Turkey before n it's my first time I'm going in 7 days to Hisaronu and staying at Liberty Hotel. Can't wait dead excited :)

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Thomas Cook obviously do not keep up with the news, or they simply cannot count very well.

As the rate is near enough 3 to the GB£ simply divide the Lira cost by 3

so 50 lira = £16.66

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

No thats too much. 50TL at todays exchange rate is about £17.50. Its not so easy now the exchange rate has improved, ( it was easier when it was 2.5), but the simplist is in multipals of 10. So 10TL is £3.50. 20TL £7, 50TL £17.50, 100TL £35 etc. We will all need to learn out 35 times table now!!!

You beat me FF - and your calculation is much easier!!!

Edited: 25 June 2013, 12:19
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Oh I see so Thomas Cook as told me wrong then?? Daft sods. Thanks guys :)

silloth cumbria
Level Contributor
694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

It's 2.925 lira to the pound with TravelFX today which is near as dam it 1 lira is 34 pence,so if a Efes is 5 lira that's 5 x 34 is £1.70 .

west midlands
Level Contributor
563 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

I just take the price in lira eg 5 lira divide by exchange rate in resort eg 2.92and there you go. I always have my phone on me so I use the calculator in there if I get stuck lol

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Good idea bettyboop024 am gunna av my phone on me at all times for calculator lol

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

All l do is divide 1 by what ever the rate offered is, so for example.

If the rate is 2.85 lira to the pound , 1 divided by 2.85 = .3508 p

So basically 35 p to the lira...

10 lira = £3.50

20 lira = £7

You get the picture..

Anyway your on holiday, enjoy it and stop counting the pennies !

Edited: 26 June 2013, 20:17
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Hi George thanks for that am just tranna work out if I've enough money saved lol got £1500 n goin for 2 wks HB me my partner n 13yr old daughter, want to do a few trips too :)

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

£1500 for 3 of you is more than enough, Turkey isn't that dear. We are a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 kids and we're staying in a Villa self catering for 2 weeks in August, we're taking £2000 for the 2 weeks, want to do 3 or 4 trips too, but will mainly buy all of our shopping for our bbq and breakfast etc in the Villa from a supermarket, plus we will be buying our beer and wine etc from supermarkets rather than paying the prices in the restaurants which makes it cheaper too. You have saved plenty if you have £500 per person and you already have your breakfast and evening meal included in your hotel, you won't spend that.

Enjoy your hols, we love Turkey, always go back again and again, we tried Tunisia last year, what a joke, never again! In one word, filthy!

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to work out Turkish Lira into Sterling??

Hi Mrdoody

Thanks I always panic that I won't have enough lol am sure we wil be ok. It's our first time too :) We wanna do the jeep safari and 12 island boat trip n maybe the aqua park.

Enjoy your hols too :)

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu