We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

does the other half need to get a new passport??

Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
does the other half need to get a new passport??

Basically we are getting married next month but wanted to know does she have to get a new passport when she changes her surname? Or can I just simply change the name on the flight ticket back to her maiden name and use her passport?

The passport was renewed last year and seems pointless to waste 70 quid on a new passport?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

My daughter in law was married in Turkey last year, so she had her ticket booked in her maiden name. She also has not had her passport for long, so she checked out whether she needs a new one. She was told she can send her passport back for a name change but it will be £90.00. or she can keep the passport until it expires but she must book any travel in her maiden name so the ticket and the passport names tally.

So, you will have to get the name changed on the flight ticket, you will be charged for this, so weight up which is cheaper, a name change or a new passport.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

I had to find out about the same thing as I am getting married in October, but obviously had to book the honeymoon before the wedding!

As FJ says, as long as the names on the ticket and passport are the same it's ok, so one will have to be changed.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

As long as the passport and ticket have the same name on you don't have to worry. So if you have tickets booked in her maiden name then she can use her passport.

I used my old passport for a while until I needed to get a new one. I just booked tickets in my maiden name.

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

Hi, I got married 2 years ago and I still have my passport in my maiden name as I'd only got a new one 2yrs before I got married. Whenever I go on hoiday I just book it in my maiden name so my tickets match my passport. Depends how much you will be charged to change your tickets into her maiden name will depend on whether or not your as well getting a new passport! Good luck with your decision!

Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

This is ludicrous it costs more to have a name change on a flight ticket than buying a new passport!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

It seems always expensive to get a name change. Seven years ago we were charged £150.00 for a name change on a ticket to Portugal. Airlines always take the opportunities to make more money when they can and there is nothing we can do about it.

So if you have decided to get a new passport and are going next month, it's best to apply immediately as July/August are the busy times for passport applications.

This posting is a really good warning to couples gettng married not to apply for a ticket in the bride's future name if she is not applying for a new passport too.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

If you are going on holiday straight after the wedding you won't have time to change her passport as you have to send your marriage certificate off. So you have to change the ticket I'm afraid.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

It's possible to apply for a passport in your new name before you get married. It's a 10 year passport post dated, so if you want to do this you should start the procedure now.

These are the details.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@travel/documents/digitalasset/dg_175796.pdf

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

Sorry, I didn't realise you could do that. In that case it is probably best to just get a new passport.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: does the other half need to get a new passport??

The only reason I know is a friends daughter did it last year to go to the States...

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu