We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bim supermarket

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bim supermarket

Anyone know what this place is like on prices?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,835 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bim supermarket

Very cheap, limited basic stock and no alcohol sales. (It's a bit like Lidl's but only sells groceries) It belongs to the Turkish Prime Minister's family.

Lots of people buy certain items here and shop at some of the bigger supermarkets for other shopping.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bim supermarket

great for the day to day necessities.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bim supermarket

Totally agree, great for the basics. I love their Cherry Jam, the best I have tasted, plus their Krem. That on bread with either or honey or jam is delice!!!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bim supermarket

You'll find basically everything you need in BIM,they do sell some brand names but mostly it is their own brands but all decent quality and cheap.

I do almost all my shopping there and go to other places only for a tiny number of things which they don't sell.

I made my own yoghurt for years but don't bother now as BIM's own is better than mine :) and it works out cheaper.

Btw,BIM isn't owned by the PM's family,just his son has some shares in it that's all.Other shareholders include some members of a prominent Konya business holding,also al-Baraka bank plus others too.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,835 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bim supermarket

As you live a frugal life perhaps BIM would supply all your needs, but someone coming on holiday from the U.K. may find it a challenge to get all their shopping in BIM. As someone who has been coming over for a while now myself,, there is no way I could shop solely in BIM. I also could not give up the lovely Yoghurt I buy from the Calis Market, it's the best I have every tasted.

I have been told by many Turkish friends that the Turkish P.M's family own BIM and there are always rumours to this effect. Most of the articles in the press say his son is co-owner. However, as you seem to be in the know so I will correct my friends in Fethiye.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 17:12
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: bim supermarket

Is there a BIM in Hisaronu, if so, please can someone tell me where it is located, thanks.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,835 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bim supermarket

Bim is in Ovacik at the opposite end to Hisaronu on the side nearest Fethiye, so a long way to go for you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bim supermarket

Not so long if I run up the hill (no, alright, dolmus job) - thanks for response!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bim supermarket

Here is a list of the shareholders-

bim.com.tr/Categories/…ortaklik_yapisi.aspx

Btw,this Topbaş family are not connected to Kadir Topbaş the Mayor of Istanbul.

Bilal Erdoğan,if indeed it is true he has bought any shares (reportedly 30%),will come under the halka acık group,i.e those open to you,me or anyone who wishes to buy them when they become available.

Rumours have flown around for several months concerning RTE's son but nothing absolutely concrete has become available and certainly this type of 'asparagus news'as it is known here(silly season news) is perfectly common.The press hint at it but no paper has openly declared it to be true.Certainly no serious economic or retail journals have paid it any attention.

I think the only thing a holidaymaker wouldn't get in BIM would be alcohol but there are plenty of other places selling that.And the savings you make at BIM offsets the cost of your Efes :) That seems like good economics to me!

Interestly BIM's rise is credited to the main man behind the successful German chain Aldi,there's German efficiency for you....

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bim supermarket

Chris S .. yes there is a BIM in Hisaronu, you don't need to go to Ovacik ... its to the left of Suntrap Restaurant as you enter Bar Street .. this is its second year in Hisaronu and is open all the year round.

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu
Recent Conversations