We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choose your bank carefully!

UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Choose your bank carefully!

I have travelled to the area many times without any problems using my debit cards after informing my bank (at that time Lloyds/TSB) I would be travelling to Turkey. However,four years ago I change my bank to Royal Bank of Scotland and each year I have had problems using my debit card when on holiday,despite informing the bank of my travel arrangements but this year takes the biscuit! I arrived in resort on the 23rd of August after visiting my local branch two days before and informing them where I was going. Yesterday I attempted to use my card to withdraw cash from several ATM's only to have my requests refused. Believing that my card had been yet again "blocked" I rang the bank to be told that my card had been cancelled! The bank went on to say that a replacement card had been sent out in early July (I never received it) and that there was "....nothing more we can do for you,as your card was cancelled two days ago" I explained I had 5tl in my wallet,was only half way through my holiday,didn't do Internet or phone banking...what were they going to do for me? Their reply was...."..nothing.."!!! To say I was stunned is an understatement. After 1 hour 45mins on my mobile phone to the bank in the UK,two faxes,ten "security" questions,my wife crying/being sick,my daughter crying..I eventually convinced them to transfer £1000 of MY money into my wife's Halifax account. I was told "....we have badly let you down and would like to compensate you for the inconvenience and worry....would £30 be alright?" My reply is unrepeatable on this forum. I will be consulting legal advice on my return to the UK. RBS customer service is nonexistent.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,484 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

We have been with the RBS for over 20 years but there is no way we would draw money from our account with them abroad as they have a "card from hell". Which is highlighed on Martin Lewis's Website.

Look here and put in the type of card you have to get details of charges.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

I would advise you get another card. There are a few to choose from, we have a Nationwide Flex Account which allows us to draw Sterling free (any other currency is charged for) We draw out the Sterling and take it to the bank for a great exchange rate. So, before we go on holiday we just transfer cash to the Nationwide Account.

Dump RBS when on holiday and find another card for a better experience.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 20:48
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

This happened to me but thankfully it was in the UK.

As some of Lloyds branches are going to be re branded as TSB they had cancelled my card.

I was away from home for 6 weeks and the new card had supposed to have been sent before I left but didnt arrive.

Luckily my husband has an account at another bank and I have a Halifax Clarity card.

I cant imagine what it must have been like for you in Turkey but the banks these days seem to be a law unto themselves.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 21:59
UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

Whilst I appreciate your advise Frances Jane,I think you missed the point entirely. For any organisation who has "customers",to treat those customers the way they did with me and my family,shows that that organisation is morally bankrupt (no pun intended),and has no regard for the words "service" ,"publicity" or "image". I fully intend to go to the press with this and will be making representations through the County Courts.

To be told "....I am sorry but there is nothing we can do about it.." 6 times from 6 different supervisors/managers shows a level of corporate indifference I could not comprehend. It was purely through my own insistence that they pass me up the hierarchy,that eventually I found someone prepared to use common sense and go off the proforma answers and not only empathise with my situation but take responsibility for their company's woeful inefficiencies that put me in that situation to start with.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,484 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

No, did not miss the point I know how woeful Banks are and I know how low down the list of Banks that give good service RBS is. There is little to choose from Banks. Good luck with your actions against RBS I hope you get some satisfaction, but Banks are a law onto themselves and we never get far with them. I know from bttier experience. We had a big problem with the Bank of Scotland and got absolutely nowhere with our complaint .

A member of my family also had a serious problem with a Bank when all the money was drawn from her account with a stolen cheque book. The bank knew it was stolen, had film of the thieves cleaning out her account in her Branch and they woulld not act to help her. The Police could do nothing because the Bank has to make a police complaint, it took 6 weeks to sort it out and for her to get her money back, and the Bank did not lift a finger to help her. They even refused her credit because she had a bad credit limit, because there was no money in her account!!! The left her pennyless. We were not even allowed to find out if they ever prosecuted the thieves.

I realise that your experience was an awful one and it must be terrible to feel you are stuck with no money, my relative feltl the same when she had a mortgage and bills to pay I am glad you took control of the situation and demanded help.. Please let us know how you get on with this Bank.

This is a lesson to everyone to try and take another card with you just in case you get stuck.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 22:58
Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

GS - Hope you get somewhere with the complaint, keep us posted with the outcome.

UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

Thanks FF. we arrive back on Friday at approx 0630 and I hope to be tearing strips off my branch manager by 1000!

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

Go for it GS- good luck!

UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

We returned to the UK at 6am Friday morning and I was at my bank 3 hours later,where I expressed my anger and disbelief at the way my family and I had been treated.

Initially I was given explanations as to how the situation arose,explanations I had already listened to ad nauseoum whilst in Turkey. When it came to explaining how the bank had proposed to abandon my family and me,explanations were a little less forthcoming!

Eventually I was told that the incident was now in the hands of a special claims department. I was given details of how to take my complaint to the Ombudsman and some soothing "noises" was made from the manager.

During the whole hour or so I was there,I never felt that I was being taken seriously or properly listened to. I was being given the standard pro-forma answers I had received in Turkey and they just wanted me out of there ASAP. I will be at my Solicitors office 0930 Monday morning and we will take it from there.

Oh, I have checked with my mobile phone provider and my 1hr 45min phone call trying to sort the mess out from my hotel room cost me...£114.25....which puts the Royal Bank of Scotland's derisory compensation offer of £30 into some sort of perspective!

London, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

I have been following your Posts from the start. I am so glad you are back home now and hope that the appalling service you received from RBS did not spoil your holiday too much. My wife also banks with them, I have noticed how their standards have fallen in recent years, but she still stays with them, probably because its too much hassle to change and which bank do you then go to, they are all as bad as each other.

I am pleased that you refused the derisory offer they made, make them accountable for their incompetence. If the situation was reversed and you had done something wrong, they would have raided your bank account and taken hundreds of pounds from you and then left you to fight to get it back and also blacklisted you.

The real problem, is total apathy in these organisations, no one makes a decision in case they are wrong and then held to account. Ask your Solicitor if there is a possibility of actually holding an individual accountable. Perhaps the person who took your instructions, the branch manager or even the CEO. This may well focus their attention and take you seriously.

Good luck, don't let them get away with it.

UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choose your bank carefully!

Thank you for your support.

I have long thought that the financial industry in the UK is purely designed to separate you from your money as quickly as possible and with you paying for the privilege in to the bargain.

Be it pensions,mortgages,insurance,ppi,you name me a financial product or "service" that hasn't eventually unravelled to be exposed as a scam?

We (the customers) have not had any recourse due to poor regulation and ineffective fines for those institutions found to be acting illegally and the situation has now deteriorated to the point where the Banks can bankrupt the economy on the large scale,whilst treating the "little people" (or customers as we thought we were) appallingly at the other end of the scale.

When you need them the most is how you measure the quality of any product or service,be it a car that starts first time in freezing conditions or a bank who separates you from your money in a foreign country then proposes to abandon you to fate.

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu