We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help

I fly to Turkey on the 8th of August for two weeks. I have just came to do our evisa online and it won't let me add my son's passport. It expires on 3 Feb 15 and it will only let me select the expiry as 8th Feb. This is obviously because it is less than 6 months left on it albeit only by 5 days. What should I do? It's cutting it fine for a new passport isn't it and it won't let me override the expiry date on the form.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,088 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help

The only thing you can do is get him a new passport. If you have a Passport Office near you, try and get and appointment to get a passport, you will pay more, but it will be worth it. Apparently, though, the Passport situation is getting better, so you do have a good few weeks left to apply.

If you do leave without a visa for your son and then get to Dalaman they could refuse him entry, as Turkey do require a full 6 months on passports which is why your application is being refused online.

This happened to me about 8 years ago. My passport was short of 6 months by 1 week. I rang the Turkish Embassy and they said I must get a new passport. I arranged and appointment at the Passport Office and got one in a few hours

I would act immediately to get him a new passport if I were you, do not delay and Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help

It says online that the start of the visa doesn't have to be the day of travel so technically I could apply with today's date and it would accept but then on the day I do travel he will be a few days short of the full 6 months. I don't know whether to risk it.

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help

I definitely wouldn't risk going away without the full six months on my passport..

I have read some terrible stories on TA regarding people who have been a few days short of the six months required on their visa and on trying to leave Turkey they have been held up at Dalaman airport, treated like a criminal and then demanded a lot of money to leave the country, and even risk not being able to return to Turkey in the future if they did not pay up.

Mind don't know how true it was, someone else might be able to tell you more from personal experience.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help

As said its best for you to get a new passport.

Although only 5 days short of 6months, its still not with 6months validity. If you were to risk it and be refused visa clearance you would be looking at getting the next flight back to the UK and no holiday.

For the sake of the cost of a new passport, its worth it as you are unlikely to be compensated for loss of trip as t&cs state you must have a valid passport before booking a holiday!!

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,088 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help

As I said, do not risk it. I see your problem is not being allowed out. The problem is being allowed in, without a full six months on your passport you will not get a visa without a visa you cannot enter Turkey... It seems simple to me, you need a new passport.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help

Deffo get a new passport. The remaining days of his current passport will be added to his new one so he won't lose out.

Birchington, kent...
Level Contributor
373 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help

I would get a new one, they should add the time on?

8. Re: Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu