We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware thomas cook baggage overweight

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
beware thomas cook baggage overweight

Just a friendly message to those of you booked with Thomas cook I had to pay last night £60 excess as our cases were 4kilos over ouch!I know it was our fault getting carried away with pressure of baklava n Turkish delight!anyway the would not except payment by card and would only except English money so therefore I had to go outside the airport and go to about 3 different cashpoint where I finally got the money out I left my partner n young son at the desk why I went and got the money I was so upset and disappointed in Thomas cook I thought maybe that would of allowed a few kilos over? So anyway I just wanted to warn others please double check your case because they charge you £15 a kilo!

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

Its a shame they cant make allowances and charge so much extra per kilo! Did the transfer rep on the way to your hotel wheb you arrived not mention excess baggage payment/procedure at dalaman and thomas cook policy?

In terms of waivering the charge i guess if they start doing it for one person they will have to start making allowance for all. Hope this didnt ruin the last bit of your holiday too much!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

This rule is enforced quite a lot. I remember about 5 years ago a couple in front of us at Dalaman being charged £16.00 per kilo for their excess baggage. It does state clearly when we book with T.C. what the allowances are. The best thing to do is buy a small set of luggage scales for around £2.00 and check your bags before you leave for the airport. Overweight luggage can cause the queue to be held up whilst the problem is sorted out, which is a real hassle for other travellers.

T.C. see overweight baggage as just another way to squeeze money out of us and this is what they enjoy doing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

We went self catering so therefore didn't have a rep only when we got to the airport there was a Thomas cook rep there and to be fair she wasn't much help ethier!

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

I did check we had 20 kilos each but we were 2 kilos over on both cases and we weighted them before we left with those luggage scales anyway you live and learn!

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
833 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

Its not just TC who are strict on the luggage allowance all airlines, Monarch, Thomson, EasyJet, will sting you on the excess. If you think you are going to be bringing extra weight back with you its best to book extra allowance before you fly.

To be fair, TC used to do in resort a pre bookable extra allowance for your flight back which was cheaper then the excess charged at the airport.

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

Oh dear, would have been cheaper to dump the Turkish Delight and Baclava, in a bin right there and then. So hard to stick to the correct weight.

Lorraine

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

Also brings up the question of fairness. I have 2 kids that I have to pay full adult price for, but they probably weigh the same as me if you add them together and I only weigh 13 stone, probably 14 on the way back!! Why are they so picky about 1 or 2 kilos when there are huge diffrences in passengers body weights.......simple.....money!

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

Exactly!you took the words right out of my mouth ha!they should make a few exceptions sometimes I think it's who you get on the desk when you check in aswell!

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

we also have a 5 year old and I am 9 weeks pregnant so didn't need all the stress!searching for cashpoint that gives out English pounds and had to go outside the airport ahhh!!!!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beware thomas cook baggage overweight

A child has to pay full fare from the age of 2 years old. Imagine what a 2 year old weighs? Makes no difference to the Airlines. The O.P. has a young son, too. However, until passenger weight is brought into the equation we will still be paying for over weigh luggage. If the Airlines did take into account the passenger's weight I suspect this would open a whole new can of worms.

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu