We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re flights and luggage labels

Leicester
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice re flights and luggage labels

I need some advice please. I haven't been away for many years and things have changed. I'm flying with Thomas Cook and they no longer do tickets just a piece of paper and I havent had any luggage tags. Do you have luggage tags anymore? Also I'm not having inflight meals so can I bring food and a drink from home to take on the plane? I thought after you've checked in you cant take anything into departures with you and if you want to take something onto the plane you buy it in the departure lounge etc. This also applies to the return flight home.

Any info greatly appreciated :)

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

As with most things these days everything for your flight is computerized and paperless. Take your piece of paper (e ticket) to the airport with you as they need your booking reference at check-in. Are you doing on-line check-in? If so you will have to print your boarding passes at home and take them with you as well. Luggage tags aren't needed nowadays, the baggage label applied by check-in contains a bar code and all the information needed to get your bag from a to b. We always put our destination address (be it home or abroad) inside our bags just in case. Also try and make your bag recognizable to you by tying a bright ribbon or something to it.

You can take sandwiches, crisps, fruit etc through security however liquids are restricted, so pop, water, yoghurt etc are restricted unless they are in a container less than 100 ml so its best to purchase drinks once you clear security. Liquids also include things like baby food, toothpaste, lipstick, mascara etc. If carrying these they again must be in a container less than 100 ml with the maximum total amount permitted being 1 litre (so you can take 10 x 100 ml containers) - so leave the large bottle of expensive perfume at home or pack in your main luggage. These items must be in a clear zip lock plastic bag and be removed from you hand luggage when you are going through security. This applies to any airport you are flying from.

Also check out the new regulations regarding electronic items in your hand luggage. These must now be charged so that if asked they can be switched on.

Leicester
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

Thank you for that, it has put my mind at ease now that I know what is expected and what I should do. I won't be doing online checking in as I've no printer but everything else I will do. Thanks again.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,150 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

You need to get an online visa for $20,00 around £12.00 If you don't do this you will have to fill in the forms at Dalaman Airport and this could cause you to be delayed and also you will be charge £20.00 for a visa.

Also when you return to Dalaman you can take sandwiches but no drinks, so you could take melon. Do not buy food or drink at the Airport, it is extremely expensive and a total rip off. Buying from the Duty Free is O.K.

Details of how to get a visa here. Your travel agent will print it out for you, or you can do it at the library.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298031-i1222-k7…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

When we flew in May, we were told that if we didn't check in on line, then they reserved the right to charge us extra at the airport, so read the small print. As the previous poster said, make sure you get your visa on line before you go, from the official site & submit your API. I'm sure they make it as complicated as possible on purpose!

Leicester
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

Thank you. I already have my visas. I'd better check the small print then or nip into the shop and ask. I dont have a printer or easy acces to a computer at the minute so yes they are making things a bit difficult on purpose. It's such a hassle now but the holiday will be worth it I'm sure. Already done the travellers thing as well.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

If yopu have a Home Bargains or B.M. Store near where you live, then pop in there & they sell bright Coloured Luggage Labels to be on your cas with wording such as:- "Hand Off its Mine" They are big enpught for you to spot them on your case, & know which is yours. Especially if its a plain colour. Seen loads of people take off a plain black one off the carosel, just to put it back because its not theirs.

Leicester
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

Been into travel agents and they confirm thomas cook will not charge me for not checking in on line so that's good. Got some baggage straps to identify bags. Got tags for addresses and I think I'm pretty much covered now, so roll on next Saturday....cant wait!!

Thanks for all your help people :)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,150 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

Be very careful putting your address on suitcase labels as it's a dangerous thing to do. This is because you are advertising the fact to taxi drivers, airport baggage handles etc., that you are on holiday and your house may be empty, you are, in fact, giving people your address to go to. No one puts addresses on their suitcases these days. Putting an address on the inside would be better if you want to do this. Your suitcase will have a unique tagging number and you get this number on a sticker that is put on your passport, keep a hold of this, as this is how you can track your suitcase, putting your home address on the suitcase will not help.

Leicester
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

Thank you Frances-Jane. Didnt even think about that. The baggage straps had the labels on them and sent some others so was just going to fill them in, didnt even think about how it advertises the house being unattended.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice re flights and luggage labels

A good idea is to put your Hotel address on a piece of paper inside your case. An on the return journey your Home address, again inside your case.. One the top of ypur clothes

That way, should your case get lost, & they airport do not know who it belongs to, they nearly always open a case for clues.

Get answers to your questions about Hisaronu
Recent Conversations