We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Which Icmeler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Just back from our 10th visit and again had a great time.

FLIGHT

We were on the 15.20 Jet2 flight from Glasgow and had been a bit wary as we had not flown with them before. However everything went smoothly and it only took a few minutes to check in our cases as there was no queue. Allowance was 22kg of hold luggage and 10kg for hand luggage. We did however make the serious mistake of only having 16kgs of hold luggage each as this left my wife with an extra 12kgs to play around with for the return journey.

We had paid for extra leg-room but this was because we wanted seats at the front of the plane. The only problem was the stewardesses use the overhead lockers in the front two rows for storage so our gear was 3 rows behind us.

Prices on board, as usual, are ridiculous. £2.50 for a scalding hot, weak hot chocolate. £2.25 for a can of coke/lemonade and £1.50 for a small tube of pringles. No in-flight entertainment but a PSP can be hired for £7.50. Overall though a pleasant enough flight which was only a few minutes late in taking off.

TRANSFER

Here I have to eat humble pie as just before we went I had been extolling the virtues of the Shuttle transfers. However both our transfers were truly horrendous and are the worst I've experienced anywhere. We touched down at Dalaman at 10.00 and had not taken any longer than normal to clear passport control and pick up our cases, however the length of the queue at the Holiday Taxis kiosk should have warned us that things were not exactly tickety-boo. Flights from Glasgow, Birmingham and Luton had all arrived around the same time and not unreasonably all these arrivals were quite keen to get to their destination.This fact seemed lost on Holiday Taxis who seemed content to have us sitting on the coach supposedly waiting for 2 missing passengers. Finally at 11.45 a couple came on board who had been standing in the street for an hour being told at regular intervals they were getting a coach, a taxi, a coach. Anyway we were off but if we had only known our nightmare was just beginning.

Everything was fine on the road to Marmaris and even at the obligatory half way stop some of us were able to have a laugh about it.Then we arrived in Marmaris. It soon became obvious that neither the driver nor the Turkish girl rep had clue where they were going. Up and down streets we went with the girl regularly jumping off the coach to ask directions from taxi drivers. I might not be the brightest, particularly at 1.30 in the morning, but even I could see we were passing the same hotels 2 and 3 times. Finally after a lot of irate calls on his mobile by the driver a scooter drew up at one of the stops we had found and 2 young lads came on. They knew Marmaris and in a relatively short time we had deposited the rest of the passengers and set off for Icmeler. Unfortunately the two young lads didn't know Icmeler as well and we ended up with the spectacle of passengers who had been before giving the driver directions. We finally arrived at the Senem Apartments at 3.00am.

The retelling of this has brought me out in a cold sweat so I will now go for a lie down and continue my review in the morning.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
561 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Oh Iain how frustrating 5 hours from landing!

Look forward to hearing more chilled out tales of your holiday.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Iain

This experience sounds similar to that of smc one of the other Icmeler DEs who had a terrible transfer experience too. Cant help wondering what it will be like in the height of the season when its busier and there are far more people using the shuttle system. Look forward to reading more later on.

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Hi Iain

Welcome back, sounds like you had an awful transfer, that's a shame as this company was really good last year, look forward to part two

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

We paid for a private transfer with holiday taxis,they used Yesil Dalyan and we had a really good transfer time,1hour 30 mins approx,they were also bang on time for our return transfer,. The return driver forgot to offer us water but stopped at a roadside vendor where we able to buy pomegranate juice,expensive though ,5tl for a small bottle.

Hopefully shuttle transfers will improve as the season progresses and the drivers recognise where they are going,ours was straightforward as we were only going to Marmaris Park ,which is on the main road to Icmeler and we were there last year

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

We were obviously on the same transfer iain and have to agree that the transfer was a joke. I have written to Travel Republic about this and will advise when I get a reply

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Two des on the same transfer what a way to meet each other

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Dont think we met each other as such. I have looked at Ians photo avatar and think I did speak to him come to think of it

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

I think we spoke when the coach stopped in the lay-by.

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

So close to each other, I met Iain on my balcony last year, he was my neighbour lol

Manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Icmeler 21 May - 4 June Part 1.

Wow! This has just confirmed that although we have already paid for a coach transfer to Icmeler when we go in August that I will be booking a private transfer. Hope things improved drastically for you after this! xx

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations