We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Icmeler review part 2

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
My Icmeler review part 2

Now where were we........

Boat Trip

As with Sue we normally go on the Panorama Prenses but decided to try another one. Booked the lazy day boat trip with Icmeler online. it was slightly more expensive at 30 lira but was well worth the extra. The boat was a small one with about 35 beds on top deck. However there were only 18 on the boat and 4 stayed downstairs so plenty of room. Music was on in the background but not loud. Food was beautiful salad bread pasta chiicken breast ( i got 3 of them) and meatballs. Drinks were 8 lira for a small beer, 2 lira for water and 5 for can of cola. Stopped for 4 swim breaks as well an hour in Turunc, a perfect day. As it was so quiet on the boat this for me beats the Panorama Premses

Highlight of the holiday for Mrs smc4761 was her usual manicure and pedicure on her first day at Istanbul who of course recognised her immediately. 2 blissful hours later she retuned floating on air. On the last day of the holiday she had opened something and chipped some of her nails. So she went back and got another manicure to tidy it up. They still spent ages with her and still only charged her half price

Market stall down by the canal were a little busier but still fairly quiet and lacked the atmosphere of the old ones

Vela hotel has a sister hotel the Verde, just behind the Aqua and you could use both hotels facilities. The Verde is the better of the 2 by far. Better laid out pool area and pool bar which is more inviting at night than the Vela one. Better dining room area as well

In my opinion who you meet on holiday can also make your holiday making a good holiday fantastic. In that respect we were very lucky. We preferred the Verde to sit at night and have a drink and for the first 2 nights we were there it was very quiet and we enjoyed or own company On the 3 rd night we met 2 couples who had been due to stay at Vela but due to a mix up they ended up in the Verde, lucky them. For the next 7 nights we were in their company and it was a pleasure to have met such lovely, friendly and people who were wonderful company. A huge thanks to Joe and Chris, Gerry and Angie, you really made our holiday

On the flip side some people in your hotel can also spoil the holiday for some. For the first nine nights, the Vela was busy but in the main it was couples aged arond 40 to 70. Now when we normally go at this time of year we stay at apartments in the Village and typically these are small apartments, maybe 20 people or in many cases less than that. As the Vela is an AI it has to be a bigger place and there were around 150 guests, so that took a little getting used to

After the 9th day the place changed quite dramatically. Numerous large family groups both British and Russian arrived with younger children, and older teens early 20 people as well up to around 15 people and the whole dynamic of the hotel changed. As there were large groups they felt the need to shout all of the time. I think some of them were on a mission to see if they could drink the bar dry as well. They seemed to take over large parts of the pool area and the dining area at meals. of course in the early hours at times they could be heard shouting, slammng doors in and out of each others rooms etc. As I said we go at this time of the year to avoid all of this, I am getting too old and need my beauty sleep, and generally it is older couples 50-70 that come. Even around the resort I found that there were quite a lot of younger people, 18-25 than normal, all permanently attached to either an I phone or I pad. Sorry if I have offended anyone this is simply my opinion and an observation

Someone had mentioned on a different forum that Icmeler was not as clean as normal especially at the start of May. I think it was not too bad but some areas did not look that great although it did improve towards the end of the holiday

One final moan was about the Rangers bar near to Rush. Now as I live in the west of Scotland I appreciate all the rivalry that exists between the 2 Glasgow football clubs. Walking past the Rangers bar one day and playing out quiet loudly was "The Sash". Not exactly traditional Turkish music or chart music and in some peoples eyes an offensive song. Did not bother me too much but I am sure a few folk later in the season may get offended by this. Dont think Icmeler as a family resort, this is really relevant

Right thats me off my high horse

THE RETURN

Picked up 10 minutes early in a small 14 seater mini bus and made great time to Dalaman. The queue however to check in was a joke. We arrived at 7.05 pm and finally checked in at 8.18pm.

Quick dash round Dalaman duty free where the prices were very good for cigarettes we dont smoke but have some friends that do,around £40 for 400 Richmond superkings

Flight took off on time and arrived back in Edinburgh 15 minutes early. But again 3 flights had arrived around same time and there were huge queues for passport control

IN CONCLUSION

AI or S/C is the question. The AI is great value I cannot fault that drinks alone make it cheaper. The food I found was good, obviously not as good as restaurants, but I enjoyed it although Mrs smc who is quite fussy did not like as much as me, although she still ate well

You really have to decide what is the most important aspect of you holiday and weigh up the pros and cons of both. As I am getting more and more like Victor Meldrew, the peace and quiet and the intimate atmosphere of the small S/C wins it for me over the larger hotels. Yes it works out more expensive than AI and I understand that for some big loud hotels are right for them, with lots of people and free drinks on demand, especially soft drinks if you have children, each to their own.

If I can afford to go next year depending on flight prices especially I will just have to save that bit harder to go S/C

Whenever and wherever you go this year enjoy yourselves and treat fellow holidaymakers and Turkish staff with respect and they will respect you. Happy holidays

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

What a great review and glad you had a good time. We are booked to stay at the Vela from 9th June. Think we will definately try the verde at night. Is it quite close by?

scotland
Level Contributor
909 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Another brilliant review. I am with you on the s/c aspect. Our evenings are about long, leisurely family meals and ai just doesn't appeal to me because of that.

We also like to try lots of different places and to meet lots of different people and that is not so easy in the big hotels as you say.

You have really given a taste of the magic and made me even more excited for 5 weeks on Sunday, thank you.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Thanks for your 2 great in depth reviews SMC4761 I enjoyed reading them both, as I have booked for the Vela for a week at the end of September for the same reason as yourself it was coming in at not much more than S/C or B/B..We are intending to eat and drink out in the evenings anyway,and we are not pool lovers just usualy have a few drinks late afternoon at the pool when we get back in,so the drinks and breakfast and the free aircon will more than cover the little extra we have paid..

Looking forward to our visit to Icmeler as we have never stayed there only visited when we have stayed in Marmaris and Turunc and not been there for a few years so will see a diferance from last time we were there..But first we are off to Torba near Bodrum for 2 weeks in June...

Wendy

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Fab review smc.

I went AI last year to the Fortuna for the same reason as you as it didnt cost much more than the Senem was going to be but this year returned to the old village to the Turgay.It was only £269 on a Thomson package for 2 weeks.

Peace and quiet is what we like and we added up what it cost us for food and drink,although I only drink shandy and it was about £210 less than what the Fortuna would have cost us.

I have often fancied the Vela but pleased we didnt go for the reasons you state regarding your 2nd week.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Dawn, its so easy to walk to and only 5 minutes away. Come out of hotel, walk across the square past Bonjour then turn left at main road. wak to the corner where the Diva bar is and cross the road. Walk past the Gossip pub and the Verde is on left side. It is also very close to Irish Bar and Blues Brothers pubs

The pool area and pool bar are much more inviting than the Vela

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Excellent again smc. Like to ask what the rooms are like. We go S/C as we like the extra space but had considered AI on cost. We were always wary of only having one room although you're overall conclusion has probably decided us against it anyway.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Hi SMC,

Can I just ask, you say that the Vela residents can use the facilities at the Verde do you have to pay for any drinks or food that you have or is it still part of the A/I package...

Wendy

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

great review smc its good that members are telling it as it is in my opinion

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Wendy

they can use the facilities at both and do not have to pay for food or drink. Having said that Martin the barman at the Vela said that you did have to pay for food and drink. he is talking nonsense.

Some of the bar staff at the Vela and Verde new us from the both hotels and we had no issues at all being served

I had emailed the Vela prior to going to ask the same question. If you go to their website and email them they do respond very quickly to any questiosn you may have in perfect English

Iain

The room we had was fairly big, it had a single and a double bed and there was enough space for another bed if required. S/C though does give you much more space and the apartments we normally go to have 3 balconies each as well

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Icmeler review part 2

Many thanks for your reply SMC..I will email the hotel nearer the time we go as I also want to request a lower floor room..

Wendy

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler