We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmaris Dolphinarium

Aberdeen, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Marmaris Dolphinarium

Im going to icmeler in 2 weeks time and been looking online at things to do in icmeler and marmaris and came across the dolphinarium. Has anyone been before? if so is it worth going?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

No,it isn't.It is VILE!The dolphins are kept in a deprived state in a tiny enclosure at the side of the shore.Dolphin shows in this country are shortly to be banned by a new law ,as they are in other civilised countries.

I'm sorry,I am trying not to rant here but please use the search box and type in'dolphin shows Turkey',many threads will come up and hopefully what you read will make you understand this is not a good thing to do,certainly not for the poor dolphins and not for your health either.

FWIW many people who go out on the daily boat trips often see pods of wild dolphins who come around the boats,maybe consider doing this instead.Please :)

orwich
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

Wealso wanted to do this but after information from sue m & looking at reviews decided not to dolphins should be seen in the wild i agree with sari dont do it you will be upset by it

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

Marc

It is a bit of a touchy subject I'm afraid although it's not something I've wanted to do anyway. There was also a demonstration against it today in Marmaris which was joined by a lot of holidaymakers. There are plenty of other trips and excursions available from the travel shops in Icmeler. I'm sure you'll not be short of something to do.

Iain

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

Quite a few of the trip organisers have stopped selling trips to this place now - hopefully more will follow suit. If anyone is thinking about going there, please, please just do a little research beforehand. I'm sure those who truly love these wonderful creatures would then think twice about supporting such cruelty...

Essex
Level Contributor
340 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

We have been on a boat trip and were lucky enough to see dolphins swimming alongside us. It wasn't for long but made our day.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

I can only add my voice to those above who say please don't go.

It is do cruel for the dolphins, they are kept in terrible conditions and badly treated. If you care for animals you will never want to go to a place like this.

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
16,980 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

Theres pictures on Donatella FB from Mega diana boat trip this week the boat had 2 dolphins going along side of the boat then playing around the boat for a few mins when they stopped for a swim break.

If your lucky this is how you should be seeing the wild Dolphins :))

Stevie

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
521 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

Fully agree with all above dolphins should be free to swim in the oceans not inprisoned its so cruel :-(

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

The dolphin 'pen' is tiny. No way should these these animals be exploited in such a way.

Delighted to hear about the demo in Marmaris. Will ensure I do my bit when I get over.

Go and visit Jan and co at the Icmeler dogs home. Great people and wonderful animals who really need our help.

Apologies too for the rant but it's a subject I have very strong feelings about.

Aberdeen, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marmaris Dolphinarium

Well I think that's my mind made up. Thanks for the help :)

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler