We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Just arrived back from our 12th visit to Icmeler and 16th to Turkey.

Flight

Our flight was the 2pm Thomas Cook from Glasgow. I keep hearing how bad this company is but we have never had a problem. Maybe not the most luxurious of carriers but their seats are comfortable enough and both our flights left on time. Prices on board though are pretty ridiculous but the same applies to all airlines so they are no different in that respect. Arrived at Dalaman 8.15 local time.

I had obtained the new e-visas before we travelled and went straight to passport control. Queues were not too bad and there wasn't the chaos I was half expecting. Only saw one couple being turned away because they hadn't a visa. Pity they can't do something to speed up the time you have to wait at the carousel for your cases. And why if you check in your cases at the same time do they come onto the carousel 10 minutes apart. Anyway cases collected and off to find our transfer. We had booked the Speedy Shuttle through IcmelerOnline at £17.50 each return. The company they used was Mavisel and we found them pretty easily at the kiosks. We were told it was no more than 4 drop-offs but we had 3 in Marmaris and 2 in Icmeler but at that price it would be churlish to complain. We arrived at our apartments in 2 hours which included a 15 minute stop.

Accommodation

This year we stayed at the Faber Apartments. We had walked past them each year and always liked the look of them. However internally they are not as grand as they look on the outside. In reality they are just standard self catering apartments, although they are a bit more comfortable than most with plenty of storage space. The branded crockery is a nice touch and the balconies are a good size with nice comfortable seats. Outside areas, though are excellent. The pool is pretty big and although the place was full there was never a problem getting a sunbed when you wanted. There is also a nice pool bar and covered bar/restaurant. The staff were very good and apart from trying to get us to go to the BBQ night in our first week never pestered us to eat or drink there. Safes are £15.00 per week and aircon is £35.00 per week. We really enjoyed our stay and would happily return.

Restaurants

Restaurants visited : Lighthouse, Meryem Yemek Evi, Venice, Masala, Sidiks and Wine House. Average prices were : steak dishes 32 - 40 Lira, chicken dishes 19.50 - 24.50 Lira, Omelettes 8 - 12 Lira. We rarely have starters as bread is usually presented. We also rarely have dessert so, as we only have water during a meal, a very good meal for 2 can be had for under £20.00. Favourite restaurant this time - the Lighthouse. Really enjoyed the Sweet and Sour Chicken there and had it twice in three visits. Also enjoyed the meals we had at Meryem Yemek Evi.

Prices

Although prices have risen, because of the better exchange rate this year I noticed little difference. At the same time last year we were getting 2.74 - 2.80 Lira to the pound. This year it was 3.45 - 3.48.

Overall

In my opinion, there has again been an overall improvement in the resort. The new square next to Tansas is now completed and is a big improvement on what was there previously. I also felt some of the shops looked fresher and tidier although this might be because it is the start of the season. The promenade is not so cluttered looking with some of the kiosks removed. It seems there are more changes to come as the mayor tightens up on various things. On the forums all the talk seems to be about the lack of entertainment, although to be honest it wasn't something that seemed to bother anyone I spoke to. These rules have been in force for a few years and have been blatantly ignored. You will now see shops moving back into their allotted area rather than encroaching onto pavements. A typical example was the bag shop at the bottom of the square where they have not only taken over half the pavement in front of their shop but also of the shops on either side.

There are mixed views from the traders. Those most against it are those who have been acting illegally and are now going to have to change and probably have illegal buildings demolished. There are also those who are strongly in favour who feel the resort has deteriorated over the last few years and these changes are needed to take it more upmarket.

If tourists don't like the changes then they will go elsewhere but fundamentally I don't see the attraction being diminished and there will always be new first time visitors who like what they see.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Evi Hotel Rhodes
Evi Hotel Rhodes
456 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
sidiks family restaurant
sidiks family restaurant
665 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Home Bistro
£, European, Turkish, International
Sevgi Bar
££ - £££, Pub
Golden Moon champagne steak house
££ - £££, Steakhouse, Pizza, Mediterranean
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Thankyou for a very detailed report and lots of information, glad you're stay was great naw we cant wait 3weeks left

orwich
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Great read iain glad u had a good time brightend up a very dull day cant wait to go back

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
737 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Thanks Iain, a great review.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Thanks for a very good detailed review, glad you had a good holiday.Looking forward to our's in a couple of weeks now...

Wendy

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Great review iain it was lovely seeing you both. Only just got back this morning so might take me a while to do. Lots going on with my mum

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Great review Iain

Alan

Wirral
Level Contributor
969 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Great review and thanks for all the updates while you were away! Glad you had a good time. Only about 7 weeks to wait for ours! Cheers

Edited: 30 May 2014, 12:21
Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
693 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Another very informative review Iain. Full of useful information and good to hear your opinion regarding the changes. Glad you had a good holiday and you were happy with your accommodation.

Essex
Level Contributor
341 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

A lovely review to read. Unfortunately funds not permitting us to go this year so getting my Icmeler fix from this forum.

stoke-on-trent
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Icmeler Review 14 May - 28 May

Thanks Iain, great review, roll on the 23 rd june.

Gavin

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations