We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

My girlfriend (21) and I (27) are arriving in Ovacik via one day in Istanbul in a months time. We'll be joined by my gf's parents and her younger brother (19) and his gf for a weeks stay in a villa.

I've spent quite a bit of time reviewing all the info on Ovacik and the nearby towns but wanted to some specific advice. I'd like to know what are people's favourite spots, favourite restaurants, bars, beaches, coves etc etc etc

a bit of local/experienced knowledge will really help, thanks in advance for your time

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Hi there

Don't know Ovacik well, we stay in Olu Deniz. The beaches in Olu Deniz are good, the main Belcekiz beach is free, the lagoon beach (the National Park one) is not, you pay a small fee to get into the national park. The private beaches on the inward side of the lagoon, such as Sugar Beach, Seahorse etc are free to enter.

Favourite restaurants in Olu Deniz are the Buzz Bar and Help Bar, both of which are along the seafront.

Boat trips are available from Fethiye or from Olu Deniz, there are jeep safaris available, and of course, paragliding from the Babadag mountain at Olu Deniz.

UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Hi,

We are also staying in Ovacik later this Summer.We have visited the area for the last 10 years on and off but this will be our first time staying in Ovacik.

First of all to help with orientation.Ovacik and Hisaronu are basically one and the same place.Over the years they have grown and melted into each other but they do retain their own identities with Ovacik being quieter and more laid back than Hisaronu.

There are many good restaurants/bars throughout the area and you will find that everyone seems to have their favourites,a particular place where the food was that little bit better or where the atmosphere had that certain 'vibe' (checkout the top right-hand corner of each forum page for reccomendations about where to eat).

The area is fantastic for hopping onto a Dolmus and seeing a different resort only a short drive away.From Ovacik you can be in Olu Deniz in 15mins and into Fethiye in 25mins.Each a must for your trip.

Olu Deniz has the most stunning beach and the Lagoon is an area of outstanding natural beauty.Its quite a breath-taking sight watching the Paragliders coming down from the 6,500ft summit of Mt. Babadag which seems to rise straight out of the sea beside Olu.Try chilling on the beach front with your fav cold drink and watch them land in front of you,or,if you're brave enough,have a go yourself for around £60!

Fethiye is the largest town in the area and is a popular holiday resort for the Turks themselves.It has many historic sites from aincient Lycian rock tombs to a Crusader castle for you to see.We like to visit the Paspatur (old quarter) and wander through its winding narrow passages looking for handicrafts such as leatherwear,pottery and (my partners particular favourite) the beautiful glass lamps.

There is a huge (and I do mean huge) market near the bus station every Tuesday (I think).This is definately worth a visit but if its at all possible go early as the combo of large crowds and 35deg heat isn't a pleasant one!

We also enjoy a walk down the promenade looking at all the boats in the harbour.If you're there,why not hop onto a water taxi and for a couple of quid each,go across the bay to Chalis,another resort with a nice beach/waterfront that has two bonuses.A very welcome breeze and some of the most beautiful sunsets we have ever seen.

Sorry if this is a bit over-long but as I said at the start,we have been coming here for years,we love it and I think you will too.

Have a nice time and let us know how it went when you get back.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

wow, great info thanks v much.

you're obviously somewhat of a local expert, in which case can i be cheeky and pick ur brains further?!

what are your favourite trips or destinations from all your time in the area and what are your personal choices of restaurant and/or bar from your own experiences?

thanks so much for the help and ill be sure to post when we come bk

Manchester
Level Contributor
198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Hello,

There is a small Water Park at the Grand Ucel (on the main O.D. = Fethiye Road) that is worth a day out.

There are only about 6 slides, all very good; but it a nice spot., with bar and cafe facilities.

Also, it maybe a bit dear, about £10.00, but it is good fun, loads of sunbeds, but get in early.

Up the road towards Fethiye, easily in walking distance, is a wonderful Restaurant/Bar called The Teras. Excellent, good value food.

The slides used to close for an hour at lunch, and the Teras would be a good choice for a drink.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
421 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Just back and again best meals were at 3 Cheers in Ovacik

Might cost a bit more than some of the 'set menu' places but the food is much better quality

Highly recommend lamb teste kebab

Located just before Orka if heading from Hisaronu to Fethiye

UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

I am far from a local expert! That title belongs to others who really know their stuff!

My favourites??? For somewhere to eat in Hisaronu try the Robin Hood,we ate twice there last year and it was very nice both times.Also the Turkish Ivy was good to.Both do good steaks/British type food along with some really nice local dishes.If you fancy a curry try Shine,it'll be better than your local,I'll bet!For a Chinese meal we ate at the Dragonara and had a nice meal there.We had our boys with us last year so we didn't really explore the bar scene (we are going alone this year,our first holiday sans kids in almost 19 years!),however if its a drink you're looking for,you are spoilt for choice in Hisaronu!

Olu Deniz has some nice restaurants.Try the Olive Tree,always had a good meal in there,or Josephs again very nice to,a little cheaper is the Rose Garden,nice food and used to do a super ''full English breakfast'' for 6 lira,it was a good spot to have a 'night-cap'in.The Secret Garden is a very nice restaurant that is a little more.... formal is the wrong word but it feels a bit more grown up, I suppose explains it best.For a drink try the Buzz bar or Help on the front.Both have a really good vibe to them with DJ/live music occassionally.

Fethiye we haven't really explored the restaurants/bars but a quick check on the Fethiye forum, will turn up a load of reccomendations from folk who know.

Chalis has a super beach front that stretches for a mile and a half I think.A nice spot for a meal or a drink or even just to laze on the beach is the Sat beach club.The facilities are ''free' to use but you will be expected to buy some drinks/snacks.If you want to eat there (we haven't but friends have and loved it) it would be best to book a table as it is popular.Georges restaurant I cannot praise to highly.Our son had his thirteenth birthday party there and we were look after like we were royalty.The food was excellent,the welcome terriffic!

Days out,try a Jeep Safari,you'll see a lot more of this beautiful country but be warned......don't wear your best gear! You WILL get very wet and dirty!!Also a boat trip is well worth it.You can book these on the beach at Olu or at the harbour in Fethiye.Either way it'll work out a bit cheaper than going through an agent.If there's enough of you,ask at the water taxis in Chalis or Fethiye if you can privately ''hire'' one of the taxis for a day out.We did and for £70, 7 of us went out at 10:30am,spent the day being shown the sites and islands around the bay,swam in secluded coves,fished,sunbathed and had a fantastic bar-b-que/meze lunch.We eventually arrived back at the Chalis taxi ''rank'' at 18:00 having had one of the most memorable days out anywhere,ever.Our captain was a guy called Ali,a very nice man!

Above all,get out and meet the Turks.I like nothing more than leaving the missus to soak up some sun,whilst I wander off the beaten track.Get of the main roads and out of the ''tourist'' areas.I have some great memories of people and things I have turned up wandering down a dirt track in the hills.

Hope this helps a bit and have a nice time.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Check out the Hisaronu forum as well. Hisaronu is where most of the bars, restaurants and nightlife for Ovacik area are located.

Nearest beaches are at Olu Deniz. I presume you realise that Ovacik is in the hills and not on the beach.

doncaster
Level Contributor
138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Hi I have been going to ovacik and hisaronu for the last 18 years and it has seen a big change over the years. My daughters boyfriends family live in ovacik so we go quite regular. Talk of the town is a must for a good laugh. Del boys and the lemon tree restaurant are my favorites and i always use focus sports for any trips.Have a go at the paragliding and the quad bike trip is a must but wear old clothes as you get filthy but good fun. The thing is there is so much to do as quiet or as noisy as you want. We are there in july for a week staying at the Celay hotel. We are organising our wedding reception for our wedding in may 2011 on the beach in olu deniz while we are there.

I hope this was useful to you and I hope you enjoy your holiday

Mugla
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

Hi,

I live in Ovacik, have done for last 4 years best restuarant and bar in the area is the Teras Restaurant in Ovacik, the cuisine is the best around bar prices are reasonable, it has 3 large screen Tv's and the Owner Ali and his wife Sybel will welcome you warmly. Ali by the way speaks very good english.

10. Re: arriving Ovacik in 4 weeks, any tips on sights, places etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Ovacik
Recent Conversations