We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Lighting Ceremony

cameron park...
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Evening Lighting Ceremony

Hello, I have just begun to plan our trip to MR in late July (I know, HOT HOT HOT, but I have no control over the timing). I haven't been to MR since I was 12, so the evening lighting ceremony is something new to me. I have searched the forum and the MR website, but I can't find anything to tell me exactly what it is. Help?

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Lighting Ceremony

From the website:

"The National Park Service sponsors a special program Memorial Day through Labor Day. It consists of a 10-minute talk followed by a 20-minute film. The highlight of the evening is the slow exposure of light to the monument until it is fully illuminated. It's a good idea to go early and bring a jacket. Program times are as follows: 9:00-9:30 P.M. lighting ceremony, 9:30-10:30 P.M."

From when I've gone, it also may include calling up veterans of war to fold a flag, and the National Anthem is played. I'd say bring a blanket for the benches.

cameron park...
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Lighting Ceremony

Thanks for the great info. I wonder how I missed it on the website. It sounds like a nice way to end the day.

3. Re: Evening Lighting Ceremony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 22:20