We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from TN. to SD.

Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from TN. to SD.

My husband and I will be leaving for SD June 24th. We have 2 weeks of travel time. We are riding our Harley so allowing around 6 days for getting there and back. Just wondering where the best location was to stay. Has to be biker friendly:) . Also open for suggestions on good scenic roads to travel on. recommendations on places to stay and good food would be appreciated .Also what is the weather like this time of year???? Thanks so much!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from TN. to SD.

When visiting the Black Hills, most like Hill City, Keystone or Custer. My favorite is Keystone, and I like the Roosevelt Inn. Others like K Bar S Lodge, also in Keystone. I'm not really sure on the "biker friendly part," for I am not a biker.

Great scenic roads include anywhere in Custer State Park, the Badlands, and I really like Rt. 385, especially around the Pactola Lake/Dam area.

Good food...Alpine Inn in Hill City (credit cards not accepted..filet mignon only for dinner..German fare for lunch..excellent desserts), Big Time Pizza...the best pizza anywhere, IMO...Blue Bell Lodge...excellent food and service..delicious bison. Others like the State Game Lodge's Lunch Buffet. I think the Custer facilities serve excellent bison.

Weather...warmer in the day..cooler at night. Be sure to bring a jacket with something to layer underneath. A mixture of clothing types is always a good idea.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from TN. to SD.

I think most places in the Black Hills are biker friendly. They are very used to bikers throughout the whole summer. I do know of a place in Spearfish Canyon that many of the bikers use, especially during the Sturgis Bike Rally. Rimrock Lodge is a very unique place with an absolute beautiful setting. Cabins are rustic but very comfortable and reasonably priced. We stayed here about 20 years ago. Every year we say we need to stay there again. However, we now rent a private cabin which is so centrally located we don't change locations. This lodge is in the northern hills, not far from Deadwood, and is only a 45 minute to an hours drive to Mt. Rushmore and the Custer State Park area. I have included Rimrock Lodge's website for you.

http://www.rimrocklodge.com/index.html

Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from TN. to SD.

We just stayed at Rimrock Lodge a few weeks ago. A wonderful place! Decidedly unique. We need to create an entry for those folks.

4. Re: Coming from TN. to SD.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:15