We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Rushmore day and evening visit

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mt Rushmore day and evening visit

We are stay in Legion Lake in Custer Park and would like to visit Mt. Rushmore for daytime and evening. We are a group of 8 adults including elderly parents. Would it be doable to visit Mt. Rushmore first, then head to Deadwood and Spearfish Canyon and come back down to Mt Rushmore for the eve show? As long as we take breaks, my parents are good travelers. Or is it better to do eve program on a different evening? How worth is the additional hour, each way, side trip from Spearfish to Devils Tower? We are in Black Hills area for 5 days.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Rushmore day and evening visit

You really could see the evening ceremony either the same day or a different day. You might want to play it by ear a bit and see how tired everyone is.

Yes, it's certainly worth it to ride out to Devil's Tower on your Deadwood/Spearfish day. I love to watch the climbers on the tower and do the easy walk around the base.

Just my opinion...I would not spend much time in Deadwood unless someone in your group wants to gamble or is interested in western history.

If you do head to Devil's Tower, you might want to see the evening ceremony on a different day.

Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Rushmore day and evening visit

Not sure if you already left for your trip, but we just got back from a trip to South Dakota. We went to Mount Rushmore about 7:00 p.m. and stayed for the evening lighting of the monument, which I believe begins around 9:20 p.m.? This way we saw Mount Rushmore both in the daylight and in the evening in the same trip. I would mention though that the walk underneath the monument has a LOT of stairs to climb. (you mentioned elderly parents) The walk around Devils Tower is also paved, but I don't remember climbing any stairs. We all really enjoyed Devils Tower. The food options just outside the park are very expensive. Maybe you want to consider packing a lunch.

We loved South Dakota and didn't have a chance to see everything we wanted to, so we'll have to come back! Hope you enjoy your trip as well!

3. Re: Mt Rushmore day and evening visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:19