We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keystone area cabin rentals

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tonganoxie
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Keystone area cabin rentals

Does anyone know of some great cabins to rent in a centeralized area close to everything? Would be just myself and 2 boys ages 15 and 11 staying for a week. Would need a kitchenette preferably as well as 2 queens and maybe a futon. Don't want to spend a fortune so budget minded would be helpful.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

I always begin my answer to questions on cabins by saying I have no direct experience. However, Mt. Mama, a regular poster on the SD forums, has stayed in several cabins and had provided excellent advice to those looking for an appropriate setting. Here's a link to a post to which she provided a very detailed response:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28962-i673-k51104…

Even though you are not a party of 10, I think you will still find helpful information here.

Good luck! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

At www.custersd.com you will find a large list of cabins in Custer with links to their websites. Custer is centrally located to all the major attractions in the Black Hills including Jewel Cave (15 min away), Wind Cave (30 min away), Custer State Park (5 min away), Crazy Horse (5 min away), Mt. Rushmore (25 min away), Needles Hwy (10 min away), Mammoth Site (40 min away) and Wild Horse Sanctuary (55 min away). Right in Custer we have Flintstones Theme Park, National Museum of Woodcarving, Grizzly Gulch Mini Golf, The Grand Magic Show and many more!

There are numerous shops, restaurants, parks, and friendly faces! For outdoor lovers we have several lakes, many hiking and biking trails, rock climbing, golfing, disc golf, swimming, horseback riding, ATV trials, chuck wagon dinners, and hunting and fishing. For more information please visit our website: www.custersd.com and find us on Facebook!

Tonganoxie
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

I appreciate all the help. I went with Edelweisse cabins. Anyone have any further info on these cabins, or convienence to attractions?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

We have been renting a cabin on Edelweiss Mountain for the past 8 years or so. Edelweiss Mountain is pretty centrally located to most of the Black Hills attractions. The cabins are situated in a very pretty area about 10 to 15 miles north of Hill City. It is another 3 mile drive off the main highway, which will seem much longer the first time or two that you drive it. You will be off the beaten path and about 3 miles from beautiful Lake Pactola. Keystone and Mt. Rushmore are about a 20 min. to 1/2 hour drive or a little longer if you take the west entrance, more scenic route to Mt. Rushmore. The Needles and Sylvan Lake are about a 1/2 hour or so and the southern portion of Custer State Park and the town of Custer about the same. Deadwood and Lead are the same distance north with Spearfish Canyon an additional 15 minutes. Devil's Tower in Wyoming is about a 2 1/2 hour drive. Rapid City is 40 minutes away and the Badlands an additional hour.

We have rented cabins through Edelweiss but the one we usually rent is through the Alpine Cabins management. Which cabin did you rent? Hill City has a nice little grocery store on the north side of town where we usually buy our groceries. It is called Krupp's and they take out of town checks. Or if you come through Rapid City you could stock up there also.

Tonganoxie
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

Thanks mountainmama. We are staying at the pretre cabin during June for a week. I am hoping to do some cooking at the cabin especially breakfasts before heading out in the mornings. So the little grocery store in Hill City may be of some convienence. We are staying for a week.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

Correction!! The grocery store in Hill City I was refering to is called Krulls and not Krupps. I did not edit my work. There is also a very small grocery store at Lake Pactola's marina, somewhat like a convenience store.

Unfortunately I can't give you much information on the Pretre cabin as we have never rented that particular one. It is located just down the hill from the cabin we usually rent. Ours is the red cabin located at the top of the mountain. If you are into hiking, go to the top of the mountain and follow the path at the end of the drive. You can hike the whole ridge and see some beautiful views. If you go at the right time of the day, early morning or right before dusk, you may be able to see a herd of elk. We have on ocassion spotted them in the meadow just over the ridge. Another recommendation is to star watch in the evenings. We always see a lot of shooting stars. Being from an urban area, we are always amazed by how many stars we can see when we are at the cabin.

When driving to the cabin, watch out for the free ranging cattle. They are quite often on the road. Also, once you come to the S curve, the entrance to the cabins will come up quickly on your left soon after the end of the curve. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

7. Re: Keystone area cabin rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:15