We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic, backroads trip from SD to Southern Washington Coast

Wilmette, Illinois...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic, backroads trip from SD to Southern Washington Coast

Hello -- my family and I have 3 full days to travel from Mount Rushmore/Keystone area to Long Beach, WA (on the SW corner of the Washington/Oregon border). Instead of taking boring I-90, any recommendations on back routes that would provide nice scenery and a real taste of the Western US?

Mentioned in this post
Keystone
Keystone
South Dakota
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic, backroads trip from SD to Southern Washington Coast

Assuming going through Yellowstone might be too time consuming and that you are mostly looking for interesting driving route....

-Keystone to Custer

-Custer to Newcastle, WY

-Newcastle to Casper via WY-480 across Thunderbasin National Grasslands

-Casper to Grand Teton NP and Jackson via (mostly) US-26 except for Wy-134/133 to bypass Riverton (option side trip to Wind River Canyon)

-Jackson to Idaho Falls via Teton Pass, Vistor and Swan Valley (one of the pretiest places I've ever seen)

-Idaho Falls to Mt. Home via US-26 and Craters of the Moon

-I-84 to Portland via Columbia River Gorge (super scenic)

-Portland to Astoria via I-5 and US-30 (US-30 part very pretty)

-Astoria to Long Beach via Coast Highway 101

Just a tad under 1,400 miles so three comfortable sub-500 mile days. Suggested stop points...

-Dubois, WY (or Riverton, WY)

-Boise, ID

Not sure how evenly these divide the miles. Stopping at Dubois or Riverton means being able to get to Tetons in morning with sunlight from behind lighting up the peaks.

After many trips from Seattle to Minnesota (and now Minnesota to Seattle wher eour son lives) we toogot bored with I-90/94 so we have tried all of the above route.

Also check the Road Trip forum.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 18:38
Mentioned in this post
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
2,143 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Teton Pass
Teton Pass
80 Reviews
Teton Village, WY
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Casper
Casper
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Boise
Boise
Idaho
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Minnesota
Minnesota
United States
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic, backroads trip from SD to Southern Washington Coast

That's a great route Sequim has given you. If you can take 4 days for this trip and enjoy more of the places on your way. If you decide to take I90 first there's a scenic byway us12 that leads from Missoula to Lewiston and on to Kennwick called Lewis and Clark Trail. That goes on to Portland via Columbia River Gorge.

http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/

Mentioned in this post
Missoula
Missoula
Montana
3. Re: Scenic, backroads trip from SD to Southern Washington Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16