We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presidential Trail

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Presidential Trail

I was wondering if you had to pay money to take the presidential trail or was it just a trail that you can take on your own. Its been nearly 20 years since I have been there and I don't remember it but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I hope someone can answer my question because we are leaving in a couple of days.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
667 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Presidential Trail

The trail is part of the Mt Rushmore National Park so it is free, although parking costs $10 or $11 but is good for the remainder of the year.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Presidential Trail

I didn't know if you had to wait for a tour guide or we could go on our own.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Presidential Trail

You can hike the trail on your own. The trail starts by the ampitheatre and takes you to the base of the faces and the sculptor's studio. There are many stairs involved but if you start your hike from the left side, facing the monument, you will find the trail somewhat easier to navigate.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Presidential Trail

How long does it take to walk the trail?

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
667 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Presidential Trail

Oh maybe an hour....depends on how long you linger while viewing and reading the information signs regarding each president. Trail is maybe the wrong description, its a boardwalk with steps and benches. The views are good because you are closer to the mountain itself and feel more in nature with trees around you.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Presidential Trail

I think it must be relatively "new" because it was not there when I went as a kid in the late 1980s. This is so worth it because it will take you right up to the bottom of the rubble pile under the sculpture. There's a great shot of Washington through a crevice in some rocks. You will also get away from the crowd. It was the best part of our visit. Other than the steps, it's not much of a hike. Our preschooler handled it just fine.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Presidential Trail

We just walked the Presidential Trail this evening. We got to the Mt. Rushmore area in the late afternoon and headed over to see the monuments and have dinner at Carvers about 5pm. Dinner was so-so but fit the need. We walked up to the amphitheater and since we had plenty of time to wait for the evening light show, we walked the trail. We took our time and did the left side over to the sculptrers studio...it took us under an hour and we stopped along the way to admire the views, photos, bathroom, etc. it is free, but, whichever way you decide to walk it, there are many stairs. The light show was beautiful.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Presidential Trail

We just saw the light show and it was great. I enjoyed the trail but my husband did not. We are staying in Custer. There were a lot of people leaving Crazy Horse so we will not stay to watch laser show. We are going to see the blast.

9. Re: Presidential Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2013, 10:16