We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chatsworth, ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

Hi,

My twin 9 year olds and myself will be flying into Denver for a tournament and had an extra 3-4 days in the schedule. We've done CO a lot so I thought we could head north and see some of South Dakota, the only must see so far is Mt Rushmore. Anything else we have to see? Any suggestions on where to stay in S.D.?

thanks for any and all help.

C

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

There is a lot to see and do in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and 3 to 4 days will give you time to do quite a few of them. It really depends on your interests (and your kid’s too).

Here are some things to consider doing:

1. Mt. Rushmore - My pick for number one thing to see in the area.

2. Custer State Park - driving the wildlife loop and seeing wildlife

3. Scenic Drives and some light hiking: Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon.

4. Crazy Horse Monument - It is a work in progress, but is neat to see.

5. Caves: Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are the two big caves in the area.

6. Bear Country

7. Reptile Gardens

8. Old MacDonalds Farm

9. Touring a gold mine

10. Riding the 1880 Train

11. Horseback Riding

12. A day trip to Devils Tower (in WY) or the Badlands. I would recommend the Badlands over Devils Tower.

13. Chuckwagon Dinner – Kids should enjoy this.

These are just some of the things to do in the area.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

On where to stay - Hill City or Keystone as they are the most centrally loceted in the Black Hills.

There is also the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs, as I forgot this in my previous post.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 21:20
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,364 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

Great ideas- check out the map and travel guide for the Black Hills at-

www.travelsd.com

It will take you about 6-6 1/2 hours to drive from the Denver airport to Black Hills.

chatsworth, ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

Thank you for all the idea's. A couple of questions if you have time, is there anything to see/do on the way from Denver to Hill City or Keystone on arrival or departure day?

How long do you recommend staying at Mt. Rushmore? We'd like to do the presidential trail and maybe see the light show at night too. Is that a full day or a 1/2 day? Is there something else we can see that is close by on the same day?

Thank you!

C

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,364 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

We really did not stop and see anything on the way to the Black Hills from Denver.

It will take you about 1/2 day at Mt. Rushmore. Can also do Crazy Horse that day or take in part of Custer SP.

DE is excellent and may have other advice on things to see and do.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

There's not too much to see from Denver to Keystone/Hill City. As Peach said, the drive can be done in about 6 hours. You will go through Cheyenne, but most people just continue straight on through.

Mt. Rushmore will take 2-3 hours to visit by day and then another 60-90 minutes at night, depending on how early you arrive for the lighting ceremony. You will want to drive Iron Mountain Rd on this day (be sure to travel from south to north) to get wonderful views of Rushmore framed in tunnels. There's also the Alpine Slide in Keystone, along with Big Thunder Gold Mine. Souvenir shops abound in Keystone, and if the kids are interested in trains, you can all take a ride on the 1880 Train. There are stations in Keystone and Hill City. You won't be able to do all these things, but you could certain pick and choose. These are things to do very near Rushmore.

I'd highly recommend spending 4 days in the area if your schedule allows.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

I would suggest starting the day in Custer State Park with the Wildlife Loop to see the bison/buffalo and other animals, feed the begging burros some carrots and also do the scenic drive up Mt Coolidge Fire Tower, on to Iron Mountain Rd with the tunnels and then spend the afternoon and evening in Keystone and Mt Rushmore. The highway between Keystone and Rapid City has several attractions as well including Bear Country USA and Reptile Gardens already mentioned but also Fort Hays Chuckwagon and Cosmos Mystery Area that we enjoyed.

CSP also has a beautiful lakes, include Sylvan Lake that is fun to walk around with the rocks and trails. There are canoes and things for rent, people fish, swim, etc. From what I have read there are also horse rides and other tours and activities so CSP can be a full day or 2 partial days of your visit. The scenic Needles Highway is also part of CSP. I split up the scenic drives so as not all day in the car and paired Needles with Crazy Horse and the walk around Sylvan Lake.

From the ages of your kids, you could probably spend a lot of time in Keystone with the alpine slide attraction and things like mini golf. When I was there last summer, there is also an old west style "shootout" in the street of the main drag with the gift shops and such each day or most days that kids might enjoy.

8. Re: 3-4 days in South Dakota in mid-June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:18