We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking options in the Black Hills area

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Biking options in the Black Hills area

We are planning on staying in Custer S.P. and the badlands area. Looking for advice on biking options for my family. We'll need to rent bikes but would like to do something a bit more involved than a 1 or 2 hour ride. My boys and myself are avid mountain bikers... My wife.. not so much. But she does like to ride. Can anyone suggest a trail or area that may be a little challenging for us but not to overwhelming for my wife. Many thanks in advance for your recommendations and help.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,308 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking options in the Black Hills area

Hi,

Note that in the Badlands "Bicycling is only permitted on established roadways. Bikes are prohibited on trails, walkways and cross-country". This info is from the National Geographic map of the Badlands.

Sorry if this puts a damper on your plans!

Bob

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking options in the Black Hills area

Thanks Bob... But there's actually a lot of biking in that area. I was just trying to find a balance between single track mountain biking and a slower paced family ride. It looks like I'll be riding with my boys in the badlands and we'll take another day to ride on the Mickelson. Plans not dampened at all... Cheers!

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking options in the Black Hills area

I personally wouldn't want to be biking on the roads in Badlands National Park, due to distracted drivers busy looking at the scenery. Although they do have that dirt/gravel road in the one section of the park (Sage Creek Road or something like that) that doesn't appear to have much traffic, or at least it didn't when we drove it. You would have to be on the look out for the bison though:-). I don't remember seeing anyone on bikes during our visits to Badlands, but I wasn't looking either;-). Could be a hot bed of bike riding for all I know.

Mickelson is supposed to be really nice. I would like to hike or bike part of it someday if we ever get back to that area.

Edited to add: I don't know where you'd rent bikes in the Badlands area. I doubt Wall would have anyplace to rent from. I'm sure not a problem though by the Mickelson trail.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 00:24
4. Re: Biking options in the Black Hills area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:16