We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the drive back to Illinois...

Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
the drive back to Illinois...

Hi everyone!

We are planning to road trip to Mt. Rushmore and area this summer. We live near DeKalb, IL and are all set with the drive there - stopping in Sioux Falls and then going the rest of the way to Keystone. My question is about the drive home. I highly doubt that we will be able to do the entire drive home in one day, but I would want to make it further than Sioux Falls on the return trip. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good place to spend the night on the way back? We would like to do the majority of the driving on the first day - maybe 8-9 hours. We will be traveling with two kids 8 and 12.

Thank you in advance!

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the drive back to Illinois...

Maybe in Austin or Albert Lea? Both in Minnesota right off I-90.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the drive back to Illinois...

The kids would probably love it if you stopped off in Wisconsin Dells for the night. Not sure how much time you'd have to spend there, but maybe enough time to enjoy a waterpark resort?

LaCrosse is a nice town, with some scenic views of the Mississippi.

Rochester, MN would be an idea too. Not a whole lot there though.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the drive back to Illinois...

I have done that drive countless times throughout my life. My vote would be for LaCrosse. It will be the biggest town you go through between Sioux Falls and Madison, WI. If you take the exit for Hwy 16, you will find hotels, a mall and many restaurant choices right off I-90. There is a Hampton and Microtel right there, but I haven't spent the night at either one, so I can't recommend one over the other. You could also drive down to the riverfront and take a nice stroll along the river to stretch your legs after a long day in the car. I did stay at the Courtyard by Marriott on the riverfront and it was very nice with good views of the bridge lit up at night. If you are just looking to crash for the night and move on, it is not very convenient to I-90 and I'm not sure whether or not it is still a nice place. You'd have to do some TA research. The river valley is beautiful in that area. LaCrosse would be about 9 1/2 hours from Keystone.

Rochester, MN is bigger than LaCrosse, but it is not directly on I-90. You have to drive north a ways on Hwy 52, so it is not quite as convenient.

Illinois
Level Contributor
384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the drive back to Illinois...

We usually stay in the Dells on the way back to Illinois.

Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the drive back to Illinois...

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I'll start checking some of thoses spots out.

6. Re: the drive back to Illinois...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:18