We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flies in Black Hills restaurants

KC
Level Contributor
136 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Flies in Black Hills restaurants

I have read some reviews of travelers noticing a fly problem in certain establishments. I've never been to the Hills but will in mid Sept. I can handle a fly or two but are there lots of flies in the area or what? We are coming regardless but I like to know what's ahead.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flies in Black Hills restaurants

I'm not sure where this was, but we were in the Hills in late July and didn't notice any fly problems. I don't feel there's an overabundance in the area at all.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,807 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flies in Black Hills restaurants

We were in the Black Hills for a week in mid-June and didn't notice any flies either.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flies in Black Hills restaurants

If you're referring to problems with restaurants well within urban Rapid City, I'm not sure why there would be flies. In other places, if there is an animal herd, such as cattle or buffalo anywhere in the vicinity, you are going to have flies. By anywhere in the vicinity, I mean that they could be far enough away that you can't see them, but they could still draw flies to your location. We live in a house on the edge of town. There used to be cattle a half mile to a mile away down the hill. We could not see the cattle, but we had a lot of flies in our house, despite our best efforts. This year, the cattle herd is gone and we maybe get one fly in our house every few days. It makes a big difference. This is obviously just a guess and I'm sure others can provide some insight.

4. Re: Flies in Black Hills restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:23