We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

Looking forward to visiting Mt. Rushmore. What all is there to see and do there, and generally, how long of a duration is a visit?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

Well, your time there depends on what you want to do. There's the sculptor's studio (closes earlier than other things, so check hours if you go later in the day), the avenue of flags, the main observation deck, gift shop, displays and a film under the main observation deck (indoors) and the Presidential Trail. If you don't have kids in strollers or mobility issues, I'd highly recommend the Presidential Trail. You can get right up to the rock pile at the base of the mountain and get some great camera shots, including one of Washington through a crack in a tiny cave. It's a fairly short trail, but has a lot of steps. I'd say allow a couple of hours. If you do the trail, figure maybe three hours and add more time if you do the lighting ceremony. We went first thing in the morning and were done by lunch time. We did everything but the lighting ceremony.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

Yes, I agree that a morning or afternoon would suffice. You could always return later in the day for the lighting, or even a different day. Be sure to save your parking receipt so you don't have to pay twice. It's good for a year.

Oro Valley, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

Three to four hours should be plenty of time at the actual monument. There's a lot more to see and do in the area. At least 3 days so you can devote one full day to Custer State Park.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,679 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

We did pretty much everything there is to do at Mount Rushmore (Presidential Trail, Sculptor's Studio, Observation Deck, Museum and LIghting Ceremony). One of the most interesting things to me was the film in the museum which describes how the monument was created. It's a fascinating story, so don't miss it!

5. Re: Time needed to check out Mt. Rushmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16