We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natchez Trace trip

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
797 reviews
Save Topic
Natchez Trace trip

I'm driving from Lynchburg TN to Baton Rouge LA and want to take the Natchez Trace Parkway. I'm leaving at noon one day and need to arrive around 5-6 the next afternoon.

I need help planning where to stop, what to see, where to stay along the way. Help!

Mentioned in this post
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
St. Mary Basilica
Churches & Cathedrals
Melrose
Historic Sites, National Parks
First Presbyterian Church
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Natchez Trace trip

Have not driven the entire Trace but can tell you that for sure if into history then stop for the night in Vicksburg. It is slightly off the Trace but easy to get on and off. Nice hotels in Vicksburg, good places to eat, lovely downtown area and one of the best history parks imo in the country.

The parts of the Trace that we have driven are usually very rural and do not have a lot of services- but a lovely drive.

The only other place I would recommend for a stop would be Tupelo in northern MS. Elvis boyhood home and church and a lot of nice hotels and restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Vicksburg
Vicksburg
Mississippi
Tupelo
Tupelo
Mississippi
McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
797 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Natchez Trace trip

Thanks!

Natchez, Mississippi
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Natchez Trace trip

You should definetely stop in Natchez, MS. We have lots of beautiful Bed and Breakfast where you could stay. We also have tours that are open to the public for touring. Also great views of the river, stunning sunsets, Indian Mounds, a National Park, museums and loads of history. Our website is www.visitnatchez.org and you can view pictures of Natchez on our pinterest, www.pinterest.com/visitnatchez. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me, hannahd@visitnatchez.org.

Mentioned in this post
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,622 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Natchez Trace trip

Oh I too agree to stop in Natchez and enjoy touring some of the old plantations. Monmouth plantation is lovely and has a nice restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Natchez Trace trip

Cool - I was planning a similar trip to be taken a couple weeks ago, but had to postpone...

From Lynchburg to Tupelo to Natchez to Baton Rouge you're looking at about 11 hours of driving over 2 days -- totally do-able but choose your stops wisely.

Besides Tupelo and Natchez, there are multiple recommendations for the Bald Cypress swamp at mile 122, the old country store in Lorman, and Port Gibson.

French Camp might be a nice pace to stay close to mid-way, but closer to Jackson would leave you more time to see Natchez.

You've probably found this site, but it has a lot of great info:

natcheztracetravel.com/types-of-trace-stops/…

Mentioned in this post
Tupelo
Tupelo
Mississippi
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
6. Re: Natchez Trace trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Natchez