We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Which Lake Powell hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Coming from Australia...have business in L.A for one week then have one week to spare want to head to Vegas then out to Canyons etc. Would 1 night in Lake Powell be enough or do you need two?

How far is it to drive from Vegas?

Are there cruises you can do on the lake and do you need to prebook them?

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Skip Lake Powell - beautiful canyon ruined by reservoir. Drive UT12 up to Capitol Reef instead.

When is your trip? That makes a difference.

Bob Palin

www.bobpalin.com

Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Canyon made accessible to many more than before by reservoir. Great place. I guarentee you 1000s more have seen Lake Powell by boat than by foot.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Absolutely agree with Bob. If you're coming from the other side of the world, and have only one week in the region, there are dozens of places better to see than Lake Powell. Lake Powell is beautiful to some, I suppose, in the way Pamela Anderson is beautiful--viscerally stunning, but almost grotesquely unnatural. Indeed, the building of that dam was/is a tragedy. That's not to say it's not worth driving by to see what was lost, but I would focus your efforts elsewhere. The national parks are a good place to start, but they're just the tip of the iceberg.

australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Thank you for your advice......I know its limited time coming from Australia. We have done a lot of travel in the U.S over the years. Our most memorable being Colorado & New Mexico with the beautiful desert scenery like Central Australia.

We are coming in April and actually coming over because our daughter is performing with her dance group at Disneyland, we have a week left over after this and I wanted to head off to somewhere we havent been or go back to New Mexico .

We are used to long drives coming from Australia, for a weekend away we usually drive 4 hours each way sometimes we have even just gone up the coast to visit a friend for the day and its 3.5 hours each way.

Like any place ideally we would love to spend a couple of weeks there but having a week its either go out and see a bit of the Canyons or sit in L.A or Vegas for a week. Zion/Bryce/Moab looks great. I was thinking I would have to go past Lake Powel to come back into Vegas for flight home so might as well stay there. If we were to do a loop without Lake Powell is there one recommended?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Lake Powell is hard to enjoy fully without being out on the water. Check out rentals and or tours at: http://www.lakepowell.com/

A week out on the lake is great, but a day tour would suffice. Stay two nights since tours usually start early.

australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

Thanks...would like to do a cruise/tour on the lake so will check out website.

7. Re: Lake Powell ..how long do we need

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 05:27